Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have and 01 ztec auto, My number 4 cyl seems to be missfiring, or flooding, since I'll run it idle for a few minutes and the spark plus comes out wet.

I have replaced my coil pack, ignition wires, and the number 4 cyl injector, I had a code p0304 that I cleared and it has not returned but the problem persists.

I dont know what to do any more, please advise me.

Thank you

Guillaume

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Guys,

Sorry about the lack of info.

Compression in that Cyl 175psi
#4 plug was removed and exchanged by #1 plug to ''test the plug'' #4 plug was fine
I replaced the Ignition wires and the coil pack and the injector on the affected cyl

dtc was p0304, cleared and engine ran fine for 30 seconds after swapping out the injector, and the engine sputter returned as soon as I gave it gas.

dtc has not returned gas is no longer shooting out from the tail pipe, but white smoke is still puffing.

The car has 182 000km's that's about 110 000miles, I bought the car not long ago and have no maintenance history on it. other than the stuff i did that was only basic, oil change, brakes, alternator and battery.

The car has been reliable but hard on gas (had vw's before).

This is the first problem i have had with it, and am at the point now where id like to do this to it [nutkick]

Thanks for all the help

Guillaume

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
So you replaced the injector, but the spark plug still shows up wet, and you still have signs of too much fuel in that cylinder?

If so, there are 2 possibilities that I can think of. 1= the new injector is stuck/bad 2= you have a wiring harness problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
guy's at the dealership said it could be sticking valves....means lifting the head
means 1000$ so im looking for a second oppinion or a solution

thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Go get you a compression tester from a local parts store. In the US, it's about $10, so CAD$20 I'd guess. Not a big expense. Unplug the coil, remove spark plug, insert tool, and with the key OFF- floor the accelerator and hold it there, then turn the key to START. That last operation is what's called "Emergency Start Mode" and as far as I know it's built into every EFI programming. When you do that, the injectors don't fire- so that's an easy way to keep from wasting fuel when you're doing a test like this. I know that trick works on Fords, and there's no sense in dumping fuel if you're doing a test like this. Another option is to remove the passenger side kick panel to expose the fuel cutoff switch, and unplug the switch.

Run a compression test in every cylinder. Record the readings, and come back here. If you have a stuck valve, you won't see compression in that cylinder. You'll get like 20-30 psi if anything. IIRC, Zetecs run around 170 or so, but as long as the compression on the working cylinders- or all cylinders- is within 15% of the rest, then it's ok.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts