Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
So I thought I'd do something with that pipe sticking out of my 07 ZX3 back. The original idea was to turn it into something nicer so I ordered a chrome exhaust tip (Ford part YS4Z-5K238-AA). I read posts here saying that it's possible to get these things much cheaper but I thought original is original - should fit and last..

To my surprise, the tip does not quite fit at all. It cannot be slipped all the way to the muffler because there's that hook on which the muffler hangs and it's in the way - just so close to the pipe that it blocks the tip.

So now I can have either the ugly naked pipe as before or a chrome but 2 inch longer exhaust [screwy] For something over $40 this does not really satisfy me.

What now? [dunno]

I would bend that hooky bastard but I don't seem to have any tool that is even close to being able to move that thing. So I was thinking I'll have this done somewhere. But then I read here about what you guys call "cat back" which as I understand it means completely removing the muffler. Finally here are my questions:

• Anyone else having a similar experience?
  • Is there any chance I can tweak the muffler hook by myself? [wrenchin]
  • If I decide to go "cat back", will that tip be of any use?
  • Am I an idi.. oh, be tolerant, all beginnings are hard [?|]

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
just cut off ur lunchbox, and do somthing like this

Its louder and sounds very good. i was -8 degrees today, and my windows were down just so i could hear my car :)
SOUND CLIPS
<---------->

(show sum rep :) )

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just cut off ur lunchbox, and do somthing like this
Vac hose? [thumb]

As for the sound, I wouldn't mind something more sporty than I have now but it should also stay reasonably loud.

Does the FocusSport exhaust system really take just 1.5 hours to install and can a rookie like me do it?

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,624 Posts
it is flex pipe. That also rust really easily. I would take it to a muffler shop and have the delete that second muffler and put and real piece or pipe in.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
it is flex pipe. That also rust really easily. I would take it to a muffler shop and have the delete that second muffler and put and real piece or pipe in.
+1.

The exhaust heat is going to eat through that in no time too. Didn't really sound too great either. I had a short chrome tip on mine for a while, and it looked great.

·
Registered
367 Posts
If you're willing to spend the money, go with the cat-back. You'll get that sportier sound you're looking for (something an exhaust tip will never do), you'll get a little bit of a power gain (also something an exhaust tip will never do), and most cat-backs already have shiny chrome tips on 'em [hihi]

And if you're gonna go cat-back, I found that the magnaflow system from steedafocus.com will be cheaper w/ shipping included in the final price.

·
Banned
180 Posts
go to any auto parts store and buy a cheap chrome tip.
I had one sitting around. cost me $7 like 4 years ago so I just threw it on. looks much better now :)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I bought a chrome tip at WalMart for $6.[:D] Had it 5 months and it rusted. I'll change it this summer again...I'll keep changing it until I get a real exhaust.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Conclusion: I adjusted the tip using a saw to make it fit [:D] It looks decent now. Thank you very much for your suggestions and be warned against the Ford tip - it does not fit 07 Foci (have not tried other years, just mine and my friend's 07).

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hi,

I put a magnaflow catback on with one of their stainless tips and it looks great. Sounds great too, with 2.25 piping my 6yr old says it sounds like a real street racer...LoL...[driving]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts