Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, Just bought my focus back in July. New to this Fourm, Curious if there are many enthusiests in Nova Scotia? Leave one!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm not from Canada, nor am I very close to you but I know there are some Fanatics in Maine who have regular meets. If you don't hear anything from the Canadian forum I'm sure there will be somthing going on near you across the boarder.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool cool, thanks bud!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's just hard trying to get time off to drive to maine lol. And money is also an issue :p

·
Registered
391 Posts
hows the weather been up in nova scotia? we have been getting pounded by winter storms, like the ice storms in new england and lake effect storms in buffalo.

·
Regulator...mount up
3,026 Posts
Nouvelle Ecosse FTW!!! bit off topic but I got to stay in halifax two years ago and had a blast! Cool european atmosphere and a humble place/people, the scenery is awesome stayed around bay of fundy and got to lodge over in P.E.I. just those two parts of my trip made it truly worthwhile, hopefully a small hop over to newfoundland will be in the cards soon[thumb]. I remember seeing an R33 skyline in P.E.I. on my way to a lobster boil, a GT40 replica just parked in downtown halifax (i have pics of dat one) and quite a few other modified muscle cars so I'm guessing theres gotta be a performance community in the area. Have you seen or met any other Focus owners round Halifax? I'm not sure where your town is located in relation but maybe u can find some other focus playmates in the city anyways let us know what you find and best of luck [thumb]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh man, Lol Today was a disaster! First it started snowing first thing this morning turned the roads to crap but the foci is a tank in the snow with the snow tires on er. Then it started to freezing rain then turned to rain! Lol Only in Nova Scotia will it be -4 outside and snowing then by supper time be +5 and be raining :p Whoooo global warming!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Aha...we have 2 people from Nova Scotia now! Halifax is a nice place. Now we just need to find more friendly Focus owners to start a group.

The snow was sweet while it lasted. Now its all messy and rain soaked.

·
Registered
391 Posts
the salt they put on the roads is a nightmare for the underbody, ive applied undercoat and cleaned rust two times already this year. hopefuly i can keep my car in good condition for atleast 4 more years. its my only means of travel.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hear ya! I paid $135 bucks to have my car undercoated!

·
Registered
391 Posts
!!wow!! i did it myself, it only cost me $30 for 4 cans of undercoat. i used a lift from one of the other fanatics in my area for free. its alot cheaper when you have connections. And i made sure to coat everything that wasn't coated with with somthing already (with exception to the exhaust system and the header).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice, Come one, Come all! :p We need more peoples!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I get mine done at Rust Check with coat and protect. I think it cost me $139 last year. If I was to do it myself, what can and can't I spray?

·
Registered
391 Posts
how to maintain a focus for many winters (if its your only mode of transport)

you can spray just about everything, the only things you can't spray is the exhaust header, the exhaust system, the intake (if under the vehicle) and the oil filter. spraying anything that is under intense heat while the vehicle is running, could become damaged should you cover it with undercoat, the undercoat will not only make a horrible smell but it may catch fire too, as the undercoat is petrolium based. the first part that will rust on the underbody of the focus is the front wheel drive axels and the link portion to the front wheels. this rust can be removed with a very fine sand paper, after you have sanded the rust off of your axels, you must polish the axel, than apply three coats of undercoat, waitting for each coat to dry before applying the next. if you have rims, rust can and will be seen on the rear drum breaks and the calipers on your disk breaks in front. DO NOT apply undercoat to any part of the break system, ONLY apply special high heat caliper paint, becuase this too is a part of you car that is under intense heat (not as intense as exhaust parts, but still too much for undercoat) other than that, to maintain those parts under intense heat you should monitor their condition, and have them washed at eather a carwash or in the safety of your garage, and if they start to rust start saving money for a new part, do not try to remove the rust it will only get worse. i have been doing these simple things to the underbody of my car and i have yet to have any serious issues with rust, and it only cost me $30 per year, and about 2-3 hours of work (minus the time it takes the undercoat to dry on you axels). you should also get into the rutine of removing salt from any part of your car, salt will excel oxidization (formming of rust). all you need to do this is warm water, no special soaps, just warm water (do not spray warm water on your car outside, becuase if you need to be removeing salt, chances are it is freezing outside, water freezes, you end up with a giant carcicle[giggle] )

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Yeah I got mine done at Rust check aswell, cost me $139ish...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Now is there a big difference between undercoat and rust check stuff? They basically do the same thing right? I've seen a car the other day with what looks like black under coating all over her muffler. Is she crazy or are there other products that you could just coat everything?

·
Registered
206 Posts
My oil pan was all rusty when I got my car and I just replaced it about 3 weeks ago. Is there anything I can do or buy that would make it last longer?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Now is there a big difference between undercoat and rust check stuff? They basically do the same thing right? I've seen a car the other day with what looks like black under coating all over her muffler. Is she crazy or are there other products that you could just coat everything?
yes there is a big difference between undercoat and rust check, rust check can take more heat before the flash point (before it catches fire). just think of it this way, anything that gets hotter than boiling water is a bad idea to put undercoat on. your exhaust can somtimes reach 200ºc which is well above the flash point for petrolium based undercoat. even if for some reason the undercoat on that person's muffler didn't catch fire, there is no more petrolium in that undercoat, its all been burned away, maybe just in smoke, not fire, but that can't be good for a muffler. rust check, although not petrolium based, is still not ideal for coating a muffler, the best way to maintain an exhaust system is to just clean it often. as for your oil pan, if the rust is not too bad, just lightly brush the rust off with a piece of fine sand paper or steel woll, than undercoat it, i ran into no trouble when undercoating my oil pans on any of my cars.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts