Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone. I just bought an '08 SES sedan and I'm new to the forum. I really like the way the car drives, but it lacks some of the zip my Legacy GT had (especially through the low RPM range). So, I was wondering what bolt-on performance parts y'all have had noticeable gains from.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Hey, everyone. I just bought an '08 SES sedan and I'm new to the forum. I really like the way the car drives, but it lacks some of the zip my Legacy GT had (especially through the low RPM range). So, I was wondering what bolt-on performance parts y'all have had noticeable gains from.
Few things you can do:

Cold Air Intake - 3-5hp
Exhaust - 3-5hp
Tune 3-5hp (plus better milage, smoother feeling engine, etc.)

A full bolt-on 2.0 duratec is good for ~200hp, you arent going to see any major gains with minor mods.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
cams, header,t/b & tune.

·
Registered
523 Posts
cams, header,t/b & tune.
Scratch the TB. Mk2 cars are electric TB (drive by wire), so it won't do you any good. If you do cams anymore aggressive than Stage 1, you might as well get a different IM, either Cossie or an eBay knock off. You need a CAI and exhaust also.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Pulleys, cams, header, and tune.

Skip everything else, it will just make your car run and sound like shit.
I don't really think pulleys are worth doing first thing. Many arguments about effectiveness versus cost and the trouble you go through to install. I'm probably gonna do them in a month or two just because I'm running out of stuff to do.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I'm one of the only people that have them. Most arguments about pulleys are pulled by those that don't have pulleys, like yourself.

Further more, Mazda Engineers released that they make their factory intakes to work perfectly with their motors to the greatest efficiency, taking careful note in both placement of resonators and size to smooth and allow more air into the throttle body. And intake is a simple pipe a 2 year old could do and add a shitty filter. I've actually tested a aftermarket intake and a stock intake a vacuum chamber using tools in my aerodynamics class (major is aerospace engineering) and found that stock boxes flow better then intakes, and removing the filter all together creates too much friction and slows down the air movement into the intake.

Just advice from someone who races their car nearly every weekend.

But what the [:)][:)][:)][:)] do I know.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I see you haven't changed since the last time I was on the forum. I didn't tell OP not to do them and I'm planning on doing them soon. But if you don't know what you are doing during install it can cause major problems (even if an "experienced" mechanic does the install).

And did you post data anywhere for these filters?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
No body belives in their automaker who would believe in a student? Look at the shit Duane went through for the MK3 crowd for nothing, I seen all the shit he posted just to still get put down by others about fake data. I could post a video of using the machine but it would still be that same crap.

Pulley install is a long time but it comes with a list of directions that is pretty simple. Most of the effort is re assuring you didn't miss anything, but their is no hard part about it. And the pulley alignment tool is just a 1/4 inch or so thick piece of steel, could be made if you really get into a bind.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I had no issues installing the udp's yrs ago, before I got on this board.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts