Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. while on several hour trip Friday noticed that window blades, set on high, while clearing a large part of the window are not really as fast as I remember them on freestyle and taurus. so this has a tendancy to force you to slow down say from 65 to50 just to keep vision clear and safe. Any one else noticing the bigger blades don't clear as fast?

2. when you do have to slow down because the windshield blades can't keep up.. the MPG seems to start going down about 3 mpg. What i am thinking here is that in heavy rain the car is so sensitive to environment that it takes more fuel to bash through the rain...

other than that ... great driving car on dry road ~ at prevailing speed of traffic .... which in spite of speed limits to the contrary seems to be ~70

we do a 1500 mile trip twice a year generally two 12 hour days ... and will report more once we get to Naples FL.

·
Registered
168 Posts
No heavy rains yet, and I plan on putting Rain-X on the windshield soon.
That may reduce some rain issues.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had the same issue when I bought my car. The wipers were just not fast enough.

On the suggestion by some people on the Forum, I applied Rain-X and it is quite effective. Half the time, I don't even bother switching on the wipers. The rain does slide off if you are moving a li'l fast. Use Rain-X [thumb]

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I love Rain X.
Some folks do not like it, but i find it does way to many positive things to be bothered over the small negatives.
The windshield on the 2012 Focus is HUGE. I never could stand the superfast speed on wipers anyway!! The wipers on the Focus are pretty cool IMO.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've noticed this. I'm going to RainX and start using the RainX fluid.

Anyone notice how the wipers sit up until they are not used anymore and sink back behind the hood? Pretty cool

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've got the Diamon-Fusion glass treatment on my windshield. When I asked what the difference with that and Rain-X, the salesman said Diamon-Fusion was like Rain-X on steroids.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I've got the Diamon-Fusion glass treatment on my windshield. When I asked what the difference with that and Rain-X, the salesman said Diamon-Fusion was like Rain-X on steroids.
You should Google a few complaints about Diamon-Fusion. It does work as described, but soon enough wears down, and does not do nearly as well as new.
$$$ price of Diamon-Fusion which still only really lasts a few months unless liberal reapplication of the spray (IE every time after a rain IMO, or every month or so)
The process reminds me of all the rust protection services that sprang up and disappeared after a few years of discovering it really did not do much, but cost a bundle.
Not to discount Diamon-Fusion, just reporting what i read. The yeah I just got it and it is GREAT! threads, vs the I had it a year and it sucks threads..

The only application issue with Rain X is while applying, to rub it down, so not smears. Using Viva Paper towels works great for that.
The first time i tried Rain X on an older windshield, it did not do so well. that application to several reapplies to work well.
On a new windshield, straight off it is much better.
And locally at Some stores, Rain X is down to $2.50 a bottle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I had to drive home from work in a huge thunderstorm (50 miles ugh) and traffic was moving only at 30-55mph, due to the poor visibility and water on the road. The only bright spot is that by cruising in 5th gear the whole time, I got my best mileage so far, 48mpg!

·
Registered
266 Posts
The blades are also independent from one another. I noticed it when I first washed my car back in April. I picked the right (I think it was the right one) one up to clean the windshield and noticed it was independent from the left. Then I sat the right above the left. I thought this may screw it up but I turned them on and the one stays up long to let the other come down. Try some time it is quite amusing.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, each wiper has separate motors, so, apparently, they need to be reprogrammed by the dealership if changed...
Chris

·
Registered
193 Posts
My roommate did this on his Audi A4. I was driving with him one afternoon and it was pouring pretty heavy.

This diamond stuff is out of this world. He never turned his wipers on....not once.....and we could see as clear as if there was no rain. I did not opt for it myself, but it is pretty amazing stuff.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I love Rain X.
I couldn't agree more! I put it on all of my windows and my outside mirrors! Do people put it on the inside of the windows? I hear it can help prevent fogging on bathroom mirrors, so I don’t see why we couldn’t use it here either. I think I’ll try that - it shouldn’t hurt.

I have also noticed a slight decrease in gas mileage in the rain.

·
Registered
613 Posts
2. when you do have to slow down because the windshield blades can't keep up.. the MPG seems to start going down about 3 mpg. What i am thinking here is that in heavy rain the car is so sensitive to environment that it takes more fuel to bash through the rain...
Completely normal to use a bit more gas in the rain. It takes more power to drive the tires through the standing water on the road. Try "ridge-riding" sometime. This technique helps to mimimize the decrease in fuel economy in the rain.

Ridge-Riding as defined at www.cleanmpg.com :

Ridge Riding. In inclement weather, you ride the center and white line edges to alleviate some of the drag caused during rain and/or wet conditions. In most cases during rain, the center crown or ridge will have the least depth of water to plow though as will the right or left edges of your lane. You can see the changing depths ahead and adjust your track as conditions change/allow. You want to ride the ridges whenever conditions make it imperative to do so. In the snow, you will generally want to ride the most traveled tracks as they may be clear of snow, slush, water vs. riding the lanes with a snow cover or accumulation. Pros, maximizes FE in the worst conditions. Con’s, requires quite a bit of concentration to maintain the wheels within a tight area of roadway.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I couldn't agree more! I put it on all of my windows and my outside mirrors! Do people put it on the inside of the windows? I hear it can help prevent fogging on bathroom mirrors, so I don’t see why we couldn’t use it here either. I think I’ll try that - it shouldn’t hurt.

I have used Rain X inside the windows.
Rain X also makes a type called defogging, but it is pretty much just the same Rain X.. (as far as I can tell)

One reason I like Rain X is it cuts the haze and stuff that collects inside on the rear window.. and does not harm the defroster film on the rear window. (at least not for 13 years of using it)

·
Registered
967 Posts
1. while on several hour trip Friday noticed that window blades, set on high, while clearing a large part of the window are not really as fast as I remember them on freestyle and taurus. so this has a tendancy to force you to slow down say from 65 to50 just to keep vision clear and safe. Any one else noticing the bigger blades don't clear as fast?

Hmmm....It's been raining here for like a month now, with some hard Florida like downpours and I have no idea what you're talking about. The wipers are fast and move a tonne of water off the glass. [dunno]

In fact the only thing that makes me slow down at all are the moron's in front of me that think the rain is like snow and somehow if they hit it they'll crash and die in a ball of flames, so they drive less then half of the limit.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
The windshield on our focuses are so slanted makes rain-X work fantastic.. Living in florida when the weather is crap which it has been past couple weeks I barely use the wipers..

IMO the factory Wiper blade are horrible.. Im used to Trico Neoforms.

But like in any car when the roads are wet it creates at Rolling resistance that requires the car to work harder. Also if its windy and its not at your back theres another reason.

·
Registered
209 Posts

other than that ... great driving car on dry road ~ at prevailing speed of traffic .... which in spite of speed limits to the contrary seems to be ~70

we do a 1500 mile trip twice a year generally two 12 hour days ... and will report more once we get to Naples FL.
I love the windshield wipers on mine, clears heavy rain enough for me anyways.

As for the mpg, don't worry about it so much. I picked up my car with less than 8 miles on it(sales manager drove it so he could show me my options). I have not reset my trip & am averaging 31.5 mpg(mostly city) whenever I drive on the highway I know I'm getting 38+ but my mpg still says 31.5. It doesn't adjust on the fly so I don't worry about it except for when I fill up & do the math myself. Since I got it I am well over 35mpg over the whole 2k miles when my screen still says 31.5mpg. I stay more focused on the miles to empty(which isn't perfect either).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts