Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so my dad and I just got done getting the Focus Sport header on yesterday [:D] and I just finished getting a leak fixed today, started it to see if it was good and it was, just ran for a couple minutes. I disconnected the negative battery terminal, closed the hood, and washed the car. Once I finished hooked it back up, went to go and start it and now all it does is click. By this I mean it sounds as if power is going to the starter, but no turning over whatsoever, and what keeps me from thinking it is the battery is because everytime I turn the key, everything (lights, clock, etc..) comes on as if the key has been turned to the run position, just really fast, and I can hear the fuel pump priming too. I cleaned the terminal, all the plug wires are good, not cel codes. I don't really know where to go next considering it started and ran fine just a half hour before [???:)]. Sorry for the long read, thanks for any help in advance! [headbang]

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> what keeps me from thinking it is the battery is because everytime I turn the key, everything (lights, clock, etc..) comes on as if the key has been turned to the run position, just really fast, and I can hear the fuel pump priming too.

The battery can have enough power to power all of those things, but not have enough to operate the starter, as the start takes much, much more current.

That said, since it was working a few minutes before, it seems unlikely.

It really does sound like a bad cable connection to the battery. Are you sure it is clean and tight?

If you have a voltmeter, measure the voltage across the battery terminals with the car turned off, and then measure it while trying to star the car.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just popped a charger on there for the time being, before that though I did measure 12.4 volts. I don't have another person at the moment to measure it while trying to start though...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks to be the original battery, not text, just plain black, so if that is the case then it is 8 years old in June

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> it is 8 years old in June

That is about the equivalent of 100 human years for a battery.

See if it will start with jumper cables, if so, replace the battery.

P.S. it could be the alternator not charging the battery enough, which a measure of the voltage while running would help determine, but if the battery is 8 years old, I myself would replace it if a jump starts the car, as the battery is likely to die sooner than later in any case.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hopefully it is the battery then, I will let the charger go a little longer and try later this afternoon, I have not had any problems with the battery, but I guess there has to be a first time, ha thanks for all your help

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
That wouldn't be the first time I've seen a battery that reads good voltage, but won't start a car.
Agreed ^^^^^ , The battery at the least is VERY old, so do it anyway, then see what else you have, just as Penguin said.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the car still wouldn't crank so I said what the heck and went to get a new battery, that did the trick, thanks for all your help [driving]

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Glad to hear it! Itsa nice when its something simple...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts