Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I ordered a 2012 Focus SE with auto and sport package for my daughter on August 19th. No word on a delivery yet but,I have not asked the dealer.

Anyway,I found this forum weeks after I placed my order and now I am having second thoughts since reading about all the problems. I cant believe how many problems this car has. I really dont want my daughter out on the road in a car with this many complaints. Its not like a few here and there,its a large percentage.

What are the chances the dealer will let me out before I talk to them?

·
Registered
968 Posts
The SE owners aren't reporting nearly as many issues as the SEL & titanium owners. We have over 3k miles on our SE with zero issues.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
117 Posts
I love everything about my SE and have just over 11k miles on it. What problems specifically are there? The biggest one I read is the MFT so I didn't get that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
People are more likely to mention their problems here than the "great car!" posts. So far the car is great for me!

It's a fuel-sipper and the transmission feels different sometimes, but it's not a problem. It's just how the car is saving gas.

If there's anything that looks wrong (mis-aligned interior plastics, misaligned exterior body parts, etc) you have a warranty. Give it a real good look over upon delivery and demand it fixed before you sign the papers. You'll have more leverage that way, and you'll know what to look for now.

Software freezes. Even my Windows 7 needs to be rebooted every couple of weeks, and my iPhone responds better after a reboot. Any software problems will be ironed out in future updates.

It's a brand new car, I don't think you'll have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
People will always over shadow the good with the bad because they want everything to be perfect. This is a brand new car of course there are going to be a few "bugs", but they will all be worked out. Some of these "issues" are little nit-picks for some people; like road noise and MFT, etc. My 2001 SE is loud as hell, but driving the Ti models, it's so much quieter, and MFT...I don't think I'll ever use that to "turn the air on"...I'll save 10 seconds and press the knob, etc, etc, etc. To each his own I guess. My advice, read up on all these issues and go to a dealer's lot to look over a Focus, and if you see what everyone is talking about then you can change your mind. It's just a new car, there are of course going to be problems.

As far as loosing anything, you won't loose nothing. You will get your deposit back if you opt out. (It's basically to "hold" the vehicle when it arrives, and you can put that money towards the purchase price of the car. That's what my dealer had told me, he's a pretty cool fella) So no worries.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did not order it with sync or MFT so I should be good there. Glad to see you guys are happy with yours.

The thing that really concerns me the most is the transmission,especially the rolling backwards part. That really seems like a safety concern.

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
Keep in mind, less than 1% of any given make/model/year of car will ever join a forum, and those that do are usually doing so to find a solution to a problem. That said, the reason You are seeing so many problems is because You are getting an exceptionally uneven cross-section of Focus ownership. Not that this makes the problems any less significant for those experiencing them, but when You look at the number of Foci sold as compared to the posts Here on FF, the numbers are pretty normal for a car with this much tech involved on a totally new platform, for all intents and purposes a completely new car. In short, the problems aren't nearly as widespread as these forums would make You believe.

The above said, You should have no problem whatsoever backing out if You so desire. As was mentioned, the only thing You stand to lose is Your deposit, and even that is not guaranteed. If You ask nicely and explain Your concerns, the Sales Manager(don't bother with Your Salesperson, they are only there to sell You a car, not make decisions) may actually refund Your deposit as well. Not common, but it has been known to happen.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
...concerns me the most is the transmission,especially the rolling backwards part. That really seems like a safety concern.
Rolling backwards? Maybe I missed this being talking about on this forum. I swear I'm on here everyday. Could anyone enlighten me to this fact? [scratch]

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would not trade my 2012 Ti for anything. I love it to death!!!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Rolling backwards? Maybe I missed this being talking about on this forum. I swear I'm on here everyday. Could anyone enlighten me to this fact? [scratch]
I haven't seen it discussed either, but I know what he is talking about. If I am on a (slight) slope (or sometimes even when I am not) the car will roll back somewhat when I transition my foot from the brake to the gas. It's no more of a safety concern than the rolling back of a manual transmission car is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a Ti with all the bells and whistles - optioned out and I love the car. The MFT is a little like a PC - needs a reboot every now and then, but I am spoiled with nav, sirius, sync etc. I have the 18 in Michelins with the handling package and it corners like its on rails. The ride is elegant, well balanced and the engine is fun in sport mode. My mileage varies around 26-33 mpg, but I drive it hard. No regrets here. So far - first two months of ownership - bliss.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I haven't seen it discussed either, but I know what he is talking about. If I am on a (slight) slope (or sometimes even when I am not) the car will roll back somewhat when I transition my foot from the brake to the gas. It's no more of a safety concern than the rolling back of a manual transmission car is.
Yeah, that just sounds like regular manual-transmission behavior to me, which I'd expect the Powershift to exhibit since it's just an automated manual.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have read about the roll backwards on an incline several times on this forum.

Just curious, If your on an incline,put it in drive and off the brake of course,will the car keep rolling back until you give it some throttle?

·
12 years strong
6,882 Posts
Keep in mind, less than 1% of any given make/model/year of car will ever join a forum, and those that do are usually doing so to find a solution to a problem. That said, the reason You are seeing so many problems is because You are getting an exceptionally uneven cross-section of Focus ownership. Not that this makes the problems any less significant for those experiencing them, but when You look at the number of Foci sold as compared to the posts Here on FF, the numbers are pretty normal for a car with this much tech involved on a totally new platform, for all intents and purposes a completely new car. In short, the problems aren't nearly as widespread as these forums would make You believe.
couldnt have said it better.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have read about the roll backwards on an incline several times on this forum.

Just curious, If your on an incline,put it in drive and off the brake of course,will the car keep rolling back until you give it some throttle?
Here is an excerpt from the Owner's Guide:
Hill start assist (HSA) system (if equipped)
The hill start assist (HSA) system makes it easier to pull away when the vehicle is on a slope without the need to use the parking brake. When HSA is active, the vehicle will remain stationary on the slope for two to three seconds after you release the brake pedal. During this time, you have time to move your foot from the brake to the accelerator pedal and pull away. The brakes are released automatically once the engine has developed sufficient drive to prevent the vehicle from rolling down the slope. This is an advantage when pulling away on a slope, (for example, from a car park ramp, traffic lights or while in reverse traveling uphill into a parking space).
Using HSA
The HSA system is activated automatically when the vehicle is stopped on a slope greater than four degrees. HSA operates with the vehicle facing downhill if reverse gear is selected.
Activating HSA
1. Press the brake pedal to bring the vehicle to a complete standstill. Keep the brake pedal pressed.
2. If the sensors detect that the vehicle is on a slope, the HSA system will be activated automatically in D (Drive) uphill or R (Reverse) downhill.
3. When you remove your foot from the brake pedal, the vehicle will remain on the slope without rolling away for approximately two to three seconds. This hold time will automatically be extended if you are in the process of driving off.
WARNING: HSA does not replace the parking brake. When you
leave the vehicle, always apply the parking brake and select P (Park).
WARNING: You must remain in the vehicle once you have activated HSA.
WARNING: During all times you are responsible for controlling
the vehicle, supervising the HSA system and intervening, if required.
4. Drive off in the normal manner. The brakes will be released automatically.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much. Some of the posts on here can freak you out, certainly! But, I think that now that the car has been in production in the US for more than 6 months, any car you buy should be pretty solid.

My car was built in April and (knock on wood), it has been fine for 6,300 miles. I am not in love with the electric steering feel and the panel gaps aren't quite as consistent as I'm used to, but all in all it's a great little car for the money.

By the way, I am averaging 37mpg (w/the 5-speed and w/o the grille flaps). Not too bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great! Thanks alot for the info on the Hill assist feature. That eases my mind about the rolling issue.

Great forum BTW

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Like said before, people generally only use these forums to complain about problems. People rarely talk about how great a feature is.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts