Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
le kittens meow
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have hit 3 deer with my focus in under 6 months. Im getting sick of rebuilding it, and everytime its becomeing crappier and crappier, so i decided to take up a new hobby. I had a small budget, and i bought an 87 Honda 600 Cbr Hurricane for 400$. now...it wasent really a bike. it was just a rolling frame with a good running engine. I had never worked on a motorcycle before, let alone even riden/driven anything with a clutch so i was just...diving in with a manual and learning everything i could about my new gem and riding.

Yup thats a dirtbike tire on the back, and and engine....and nothing else...mismatched rims...no gas tank, no electric.
This is it 3 hours later. Not bad for a rookie.

the next day in concentrated on tearing down the parts of the engine i could, and cleaning EVERYTHING. It was disgusting. CAKED in grease. And i learned that a new gasket set costs about 300$ so I didnt mess with internals. Everything else though got taken off cleaned with a brush and degreaser. This is it after a 10 hour day

K so i did that sort of thing for a few days, tearing everything off the frame and cleaning it, then i got the swing arm off and painted that, and bought a White rim from ebay with a used tire already on it. Painted some random other things

THen another week went buy of buying parts and spending to much money, and time. Me and abuddy got the engine back in and all the tires back on. I started looking at wiring diagrams and harness's

needed more paint stuffs

this was the parking lot of autozone....

so i then bought a used wiring harness off ebay and started running that through the bike and figuring out the wiring. That was a PITA, but after a few days of work, I made progress and succeeded!

I decdied the front white tire was too dirty and old for my liking, so i brough it to a powder coater, and while it was there for a week i did what else...more painting and wiring and buying and spending.

Its starting to look like a bike!

I found my helmet, and bought that, and started buying plastics for the bike now too. And keep in mind, this bike has been ripped apart and rebuilt in about 2 months, ive never ridden a bike yet lol

Got my helmet, and got my front rim back and put a new tire on the front, along with some more painting

It was at this stage that i learned how to ride. it was pretty easy, a few adjustments throughout, my throttle was a little messed up, clutch needed some tuning, just buggy stuff. But yeah, then i bought the rest of the panels and did a mock up so i knew what it would look like, and came up with a design in my head.

then i got a new, better paying job

and after 6 weeks it looked like this, early coats before sanding. I did this all with Duplicolor and blue painters tape and ALOT of patience

I then got to noticing that i had a blown fork seal, and that hydralic fluid was leaking all over my newly coated rim and white + brown doesnt look good.
So i brought my front forks to a shop, and while theyve been there for the past week i did finishing sanding, and did my tail fairings and my handbar fairings and just....got everythnig nice and smooth and shiny.

got her back today and this is the end result.
After 4 months of owning her, and One thousand dollars spent getting her to be pretty, she is my new baby.
In all buying and rebuilding I've spent 1400$

Thanks for looking. For more pictures visit my Photobucket.
photobucket.com/helga600

this is my rough ending design, the red is metallic red, but MS Paint doesnt have that color :p I will finish over winter. Right now, im just going to enjoy riding her.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Wow Billy that looks awesome, btw that was my car you left the note on the other day.

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Damn nice build not bad at all for someone who has never built a bike before.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Really? I hit a deer a year ago going 45mph with my 2000 zx3 and the only thing that got even moved was my front license plate, because the plate crumbled from a car that got totaled previously before i owned my focus. I couldn't believe it.

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
Nice work Billy, I'm sure by spring the thing is going to look cherry.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
good work man...... and trust me it's SO much better to buy a bike witha working engine and no body parts then one that doesn't run but has everything. At least with my experience which has only been one 82 honda with a stripped spark plug :(

once again looks awesome

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Wow, pretty impressive Bill. Looks like a fun project. Was wondering what you've been up to.

Congrats on the new job. Back in the day when my brother worked there he brought home boxes and boxes of over the counter products for really cheap or maybe even free iirc lol.

·
le kittens meow
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys. Yeah I get really really cheap over the counter stuff. About 10 cents for anything. THe other day i got 6 bottles of 200 count aspirin for 10 cents. lol Its crazy.

Stripped spark plug is funny, that would be very fustrating.
IM happy to be done, and start saving money again.

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
Congrats Bill that looks better every time I see it!!!!

so.........when are you going to bring it over to the house so I can ride it?! [:)]

also you realize this means I'll be calling you whenever I have a question about building/fixxing my bike right?

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Looks good dude!

·
le kittens meow
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Multi-quote Fail

·
le kittens meow
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congrats Bill that looks better every time I see it!!!!

so.........when are you going to bring it over to the house so I can ride it?! [:)]

also you realize this means I'll be calling you whenever I have a question about building/fixxing my bike right?
Nice bike man. It looks like a blast to ride.
i learned how to multi quote! yesssss

As long as yours is carburated, i might be able to help with engine stuffs. Mostly Brad Ill be able to help with questions like "how the heck do i remove the front forks?, or how do i get the chain off" that sort of stuff :p

and yeah its alot of fun to ride. I thought i loved being low to the ground and taking corners fast in my car....no...i now love taking corners on 2 wheels and blasting to 60 mph with a flip of my wrist. :) Get one.

·
Unicorn Owner
2,757 Posts
Very nice restore, it's gonna look awesome once it's done

·
le kittens meow
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I cant wait till next summer to finish her. Im going out on a ride right now :)

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
Thanks for letting me ride her last night Bill its really a very nice bike!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts