Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my '02 ZTS into the dealership this weekend. I started hearing a scraping sound from my right rear tire on thursday. I have the 113 ESP. They said the bearing went out and damaged the spindle and the drum. Okay. The spindle and the drum are covered they tell me. BUT the bearing is NOT, and the bearing failing caused the drum and spindle to fail, so they are not going to cover the repair. they wanted to charge me $500 for the repair. I am poor and told them no way I cant afford it. That is why I got the ESP. I tell them to give me back my car and they say that will be $41. I said you didnt do anything. They said that is the diagnastic charge (sp?) They did not tell me when I signed the paper that there was going to be any charge. I have taken my car there before and there has been no charge. I took my car over to my friends shop and got it fixed for $375.

Should of Ford fixed this this part? Can I try and get Ford to pay for it?

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Gosh I dunno. I see what they're saying about the bearing and all... but it just seems so... wrong.

I swear I see more threads commenting on what ESP Won't cover than what it will. I feel you got kinda screwed there, but at the same time, if the bearing failed then it wasn't a defect in the drum/spindle perse (they didn't Cause it). It still seems wrong, but I'm not sure if they should've been obligated to fix it?!

·
Registered
577 Posts
idk.. i hate dealerships.. they always blame things on other things and say it isnt their fault or they cant fix it.

i think they do charge a diag test fee always... but if u had the esp.. i assume bumper to bumper... it should be covered right? i would think so.. unless they can prove u did someting to it...

·
Registered
142 Posts
MaximusZTS said:
I took my '02 ZTS into the dealership this weekend. I started hearing a scraping sound from my right rear tire on thursday. I have the 113 ESP. They said the bearing went out and damaged the spindle and the drum. Okay. The spindle and the drum are covered they tell me. BUT the bearing is NOT, and the bearing failing caused the drum and spindle to fail, so they are not going to cover the repair. they wanted to charge me $500 for the repair. I am poor and told them no way I cant afford it. That is why I got the ESP. I tell them to give me back my car and they say that will be $41. I said you didnt do anything. They said that is the diagnastic charge (sp?) They did not tell me when I signed the paper that there was going to be any charge. I have taken my car there before and there has been no charge. I took my car over to my friends shop and got it fixed for $375.

Should of Ford fixed this this part? Can I try and get Ford to pay for it?
The new bearing comes in the drum, so it should be covered!! I work for a dealer and if the drum is covered, the bearing is also. The diagnostic charge is waived if the problem is covered under warranty, ford pays the diag.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
So in essence, they were charging you $500.00 for the uncovered bearing since everything else was suppose to be on Ford......yah right....thieves! A wheel bearing runs about 30 to $40.00. And putting it in takes minutes. Remember they have to just insert it into the new drum even if it did happen to come seperately. They were charging you for the entire job including what should have been covered!!!!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I think it should have been covered, your mistake now was getting your friend to repair it. I would call Ford customer service line and go ape.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
from what i gather, esp doesnot cover it if: it is a mechanical part, an electrical part, an aperance part, or basicaly if it breaks...

My family once paid extra for "lifetime brakes" thinking we would never have to replace a brake pad. they where twice as expensive but what they hey... right
wrong... the way the paperwork was written, the lifetime was not the lifetime of the car, but the life time of the brakes...
when the brakes wore out in 3 months, they where not covered.
when they wear out the life of the brake is over, therefore the coverage is over.
you can only get them replaced if they fail catistrophicaly, not wear out...

My focus:
the master cylender for the clutch died, dropping the clutch at a hairy moment on the highway while passing a big rig... well my clutch was TOAST. they covered the Master cylender a $36.00 part but said the clutch was a wear item and i had to replace it at the tune of $700.00 they also tried to pull the oh you can't take it somewhere else thing. they said they had already put several hours in diagnosing the problem if i took it somewhere else i would have to pay $300 in labor anyway... guess what... i paid and 5 months later the exact same thing happend.
lets cross our fingers it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
650 Posts
talk with the serivce manager, if he won't listen, talk with the customer service manager... if he won't listen, call Ford and lodge a complaint... then stuff will get done pronto...

I had to do that a few times for our 01 on "uncovered" crap... um, wtf, I bought a BUMPER TO BUMPER ESP... not a drivetrain one ya nuts :p

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SVTmonkey said:
I think it should have been covered, your mistake now was getting your friend to repair it.
Well I was going to work and the car started to swerve violently on the 5 freeway. I pulled over and called my buds shop. I had to get it fixed and I knew the dealership was not going to help. Plus I dont have $500.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My dealer has been pretty nice to me but I would call Ford Customer Service and go ape, if anything they may reimburse you for the money you paid your friend if you have a reciept. Mine as well try, what do you have to lose?

-Ryan

·
Registered
205 Posts
They probably don't cover it because they know if it fails there will be a good chance that it will damage the drum and the spindle. Therefore, they can make you pay for it.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I obtained a copy of the report on my car in the Oasis system that Ford uses. It turns out that dumb azz little bearing IS covered under my warrenty. I called the same service advisor that "helped" me my car on saturday. I told him that I had the report right in front of me and he put me on hold for about 30 mins. then gets on the line and says "Shawn, well turns out you are right." I was glad to hear I was right, but I was so mad that I went through all this crap and I should not have. They said to submitt all my recipts (sp?) and they will submitt to Ford. and that it takes 2 -3 weeks for that. I am so pissed that they did not do thier jobs right the first time. but I will keep you guys updated on this.

·
I don't care
8,446 Posts
Sucks you had to go thru all that, to find out it was covered. Sorry to hear that, but hopefully they process it quickly and you get reimbursed soon. Good luck, keep us posted !

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
If you need help on anything else, let me know, any of ya. Mike

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
..:: sleestak ::.. said:
he will be everywhere...just you watch

Well I will admit I like the picture...so I'm gonna hold you to that. I want to see that picture in EVERY thread. Or else...

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Well I'm glad they're gonna reimburse you. It does suck that you got jerked around and had to pay out of pocket to being with.

At least you stuck to it and will be getting your money back though. Stupid service guy, either it was a simple mistake (which happens), but I would guess he's seen bearings go out, you would think he'd have an idea on some more common things and their relation to warranty?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts