Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[:(] Well it finally happened to me.(Well my wife). She had to be towed home because of a dead battery.She said it was clicking and dash lights were flickering and headlights were dim and so on. This is a 2002 zx5 with ztech engine. Last year the battery finally died and would not hold a charge and it was replaced with the best battery I could buy. When the car got home I pulled the battery and my DVM said 11.8 volts. Pretty low. I hit it with charger and pulled it up to about 13v and started the car. It immediately went to about 12.5v. Hit the lights and down to 12.1. Put heater on high and went to slightly below 12v. No amount of revving of the engine made any difference at all. The thing is the alternator light never came on. Is this normal? It works when just the key is on. I started to pull the alternator but I held up and came here to see if anyone else has had this problem. The fuses in the aux. fuse box are all good and the resistance from the plus side cable to the red lug on the alternator is .1 ohm. Am I missing any thing? I'm gonna call the alternator bad unless someone here has a different opinion. I don't have a spare ECU for this car.[dunno]

·
Registered
54 Posts
You should be seeing about 14.8 VDC with the engine running. I so not know why the Batt light is not on, but your battery will not charge if you do not have higher than 12 volts with the engine running. I just replaced the alternator in my 2004 zx3 zetec. It was $139 new(World Power Systems 8260N) and 2hrs to swap it out. It comes out the top with some difficulty. It is working ok.

I had some difficulty getting the connectors apart and getting the alternator off of the mounting. You pry it aft-not up, because it will hit the intake manifold. There are several good threads on this procedure.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tnx John. Yeah I seem to remember when I changed the battery last year I had about 13-14 volts when measured at hi idle. What throws me is the light. It should be for something other than a Christmas light. Oh well it's a Focus.[dunno]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts