Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I hope this is in the right place. I'm fixing on getting the focus back out, but I've got a problem with my other DD I'd like to figure out first, and I've never found better help than I do here.

It's a 98 f-150, 4wd with a 4.6l and about 169,000 on the ticker. On startup this morning I noticed the steering wheel was difficult to turn. It did sort of ease up as the truck got moving, so I was leaning toward the PS system. However, at highway speeds the steering is still intermittently very stiff and occasionally will lock up for half a beat or so. The system had full/clean(ish) fluid and I'm not hearing any noise from the pump. There are no sounds or vibrations at all, just the resistance in the steering. It almost feels like a column/gearbox issue to me, but I'd love y'all's input. Also, no change between left and right, so it's not direction specific.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Symptoms are the same as when turning the wheel faster than the P/S pump can keep up with, so my vote is for the pump - just because the other option is a replacement steering box, the other end of that system.

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
Pump or steering box. You've blown a partial leak in the system that comes and goes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts