Focus Fanatics Forum banner

321 - 340 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ok, so after almost 2 solid 8 hour days of trying to get the ball joint into the knuckle, we have been unsuccessful. If anyone is willing to come over to South San Francisco to assist, I will gladly pay you some money and/or beer. This is quite possibly the most serious I have ever been about needing some real help with a part installation. We have tried everything. Removing the strut to gain more play in the knuckle, trying to put the ball joint in before the other 3 control arm bolts, trying to put the old arm back in, using a screwdriver and legit pry bar to spread the knuckle to gain more clearance, removed the calipers and rotors, have tried various jacks, hammers, and c clamps, and definitely verified that we have the correct mk1 arm. This is a serious nightmare. Ford still wants upwards of $300 for their book rate even though we just need one single piece finished up. It would appear that we have exhausted all options.

Can anyone that has successfully completed this install before please assist? It would be much appreciated. Gas, food, beer, and time will be fully compensated. We will probably run in to the same issue with the SVT as well, so this will probably be for a total of 4 ball joints (we started on Denise's car). Thanks guys.

I've also had some people advise to sand the ball joint shaft down to make it skinnier, but I've had an equal number of people heavily advise against that. Thoughts?

·
I Like Red
3,245 Posts
^ I might be able to give you a hand. My next day off is Mon tho...
Im out in Concord.

·
Registered
109 Posts
For sure man. I'll be leaving Sunday night, but it's my gf's car in SSF. Both of us would be EXTREMELY grateful for any help you can provide. Just let me know when works best for you and we can get something figured out for Monday or something.

I could also drive the SVT over to Concord next weekend should you be successful in finishing my gf's zx3 next week. Thanks again.

·
I Like Red
3,245 Posts
Ok, I would come on the weekend but Im stuck working nights so I sleep in kinda late. Im off Mon-Wed. I have classes until 1:15 so I could leave Concord around 2 or so. I'll PM you my cell number so you can shoot me a text and it will be easier to communicate.

·
I Like Red
3,245 Posts
Thank you Jesse for helping out with the ball joints this weekend. Couldn't have done it without you!
Glad u guys got it done. I enjoyed sleeping in this morning lol. Let me know if u ever need a hand in the future, Im always glad to lend a hand. You got my #. We still need to do a drive sometime soon...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Find a post that he posted on...then locate the green button with a number by his name and follow instructions...if you don't know how to find a post...search for 'crazyjesse' in the search function and you should find him or better yet...if he sent you a pm get access like that

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thought I'd post up as I now have a focus. Got a boatload of things to throw on this weekend (wheels and tires, stereo and speakers, clear turn and side lights, rear window regulator, stock spoiler) but then I'll be ready for some meets/drives.

·
I Like Red
3,245 Posts
Thought I'd post up as I now have a focus. Got a boatload of things to throw on this weekend (wheels and tires, stereo and speakers, clear turn and side lights, rear window regulator, stock spoiler) but then I'll be ready for some meets/drives.
Whats up man, I see your in WC. There are a couple of us in Concord, not much for meets around here but we do a lot of weekend drives through the hills if your interested. Shoot me a PM if you want my # to meet up with us sometime.

-Gaven

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm actually moving to Concord at the end of the month. October is pretty booked up for me but come November ill be more open. Ill shoot you a pm

321 - 340 of 368 Posts