Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the tittle indicates, I am a noob at audio systems but it is time to learn. My questions are all related to how I can wire up my Subwoofer to a factory head unit.

First question: I have removed the rear drivers side speaker because that is the general area the sub is going and I need to move it. However, I don't really miss having that speaker so I was wondering if I can hook that speaker wires directly to the amp. From what I understand, this probably wont work very well but I thought I'd at least ask because it would be the easiest way.

Second question: If I can't do the above, my amp has a way to wire the left and right speaker directly to it just like what I understand a LOC does. The problem is that it's at the amp which would require running wires from the speaker on the passenger side, right? Or do the wires to the passenger side speaker run along the drivers side too (I haven't look at a wiring diagram of my car but will try to find one).

Last question: Which method would have the best quality sound. Running off the speaker if possible, wiring both speakers into the amp, or purchasing a LOC and wiring it up that way.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Which amp is it?

First you need power and ground for the amp. You also need a way to switch it on and off. Most after market radios have a lead that is used to remotly switch the amp on and off when the radio is turned on. The stock readio might be tricky to do this with. You can however wire it up so it comes on with the car ignition.

After the power wires are sorted you then need to figure a way to get a signal to the amp. Most amps but not all have 2 ways to get a signal into the amp. High impedance and low. One set uses RCA cables, if your doing the factory radio you may not have that option. The next way is to tap off the speakers already in the car. Its been a while since ive done it that way.

I believe you can just tap off the same leads running to the rear speakers. You usually want both left and right if not the bass will be lost on the other side. Speaker level in is usually in stereo.

IMO neither way of wiring in a sub is easy. Taping off the rear speakers is just about as much work as using RCA from an aftermarket headunit. Aftermarket headunits out now have way better onboard power and have a ton of features making adding a sub sound the best. Single din units are pretty cheap now as well. You can get a nice one that blows away the stock for under $100.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've already run a power cable (with a fuse) to the battery, and from what I've heard, I can hook the remote wire to the power supply on the stock radio so I think I have these parts figured out. What I am having trouble figuring out is how to get the sound to the amp.

My amp has both the high and low impedance but I can't use the RCA cable to hook to the stereo. With the setup I am trying to work with now, I will have to tap into the speaker wires.

From what I understand so far, using just the drivers side rear speaker wires would negate the base on the passenger side speaker? Considering that the Sub is going to be right behind the driver and there will rarely be any passengers in the back, will this be so bad?

If I use both rear speakers, should I run wires from the passenger side rear speaker to where the drivers side rear speaker was (because that is where the amp is going to be) or is there a better way to wire that up?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Easiest thing to do is remove the factory head unit. There you will be able to find your accy power wire which you can splice into for your remote turn on. Then you could purchase a LOC and install it back there or take two lengths of speaker wire and splice that into the left and right rear speakers and run that back to the amp.

added benefit of running your signal off the rear speakers is that you can use the fade feature as subwoofer control. if you fade it forward it will decrease the output of the subs.

·
Registered
487 Posts
If your worried about sound quality then get an aftermarket Head. Serious L.O.Cs sound like shit and its better off to spend a little more money now then spend alot more down the line when you arent happy with what youve got.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I think I am slowly caving into buying a new head unit. It was an expense that I was hoping to put off for a while but it's starting to look like it would be better to just do it now and be done with it.

Since I have this thread started, I throw this question in here. What is a good, cheap head unit. My nearest retailer by a long way is Walmart but I'm always hesitant to get any major purchases from there. Do they sell any good units or should I look elsewhere?

Thank again for all your help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
whats your budget for the HU? sonic electronix, amazon, and woofersetc have better HU's for about the same price as walmart. most of them ship free too.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Its like everything else you have probablly been into. You start cheap and then it grows into a hobby or an addiction and before you know it you have had 3-4 different head units, 3-4 amps and 2 or 3 different speaker boxes.

If you just drop the big bucks right from the start and go balls out you will wind up saving money and being alot more happy right from the start.

Ive done this with almost every hobby ive ever been into. cheap guitar from the start just frustrated me and ive had maybe 20 since. R/C cars i started cheap and wound up looking like a fool at the local track. Dont get me started on audio equipment i dont know how much ive spent on this stuff.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought a Dual head unit from Walmart yesterday and hooked it up last night. I was really hoping to get a Pioneer, Kenwood, or similar name brand unit but they either cost to much, had features that I didn't want, or were the wrong color (I know but I really didn't want red lighting). From running it last night and this morning, I am really impressed. Bear in mind that this is the first aftermarket headunit I've owned, but the sound (at least in the Bass department) is way better than the stock headunit even without the sub hooked up. The only problem I have run into so far is the intenna; the head unit has a completely different end than what the car has so I have to find something to hook them up with.

As far as putting the money into more upmarket audio equipment, I wish I could but there are more important places that I need to be putting my money into right now. Someday I hope to be able to go all out on the audio but right now I am just trying to get a better system going that will tie me over for the next couple years.

Plus, half the fun is in upgrading every once in a while.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you want to be able to receive any sort of FM station, you will NEED that antenna adapter. It will be a VW style adapter and if there is an AutoZone, Advance or O'Reilly auto parts store near you, they should have one. The adapter runs between $10-$15...

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's what I figured. Thanks. [thumb]

·
Registered
487 Posts
if you can take that dual unit back right now and look for a cheap kenwood one kenwood makes decent heads at around 100 anything dual makes is utter shit

1 - 13 of 13 Posts