Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I'm new to this whole focus scene. Got a few questions to ask. I drive a 2001 Ford Focus Kona Edition manual with 63,000 miles.

First I'm looking for a exhaust system or possibly just a muffler to make my car louder (but not too loud) so that I can hear the engine better over my syereo and sub. Any suggestions would be great, my only problem is I don't want the car to sound too high pitched or ricey. I know this is a hard medium.

Secondly,
I'm in need of new brakes in the front. I'm looking for some good long lasting ones that wont get too crazy on the wallet.

Lastly,
Once again this car has 63,000 miles on it and I have small knowledge of the previous matinence records. I've heard that the timing belt is a big problem with these cars, that when they go, they pretty much kill the entire car. So when is it neccessary to change it?

Thought of something else :), a good CAI suggestion would be nice!

Thanks everyone, appreciate it.

·
Registered
714 Posts
my reccomendations on exhaust would be MBRP (good price, and sounds really good), or for a little more money you can get either Magnaflow or Borla which both of those systems sound good too.

for the cold air intake.....you can get the F2 Focus CAI for $80 shipped.

for brakes.....are you looking for some kind of performance brakes or stock??

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yellow-ZX3 said:
my reccomendations on exhaust would be MBRP (good price, and sounds really good), or for a little more money you can get either Magnaflow or Borla which both of those systems sound good too.

for the cold air intake.....you can get the F2 Focus CAI for $80 shipped.

for brakes.....are you looking for some kind of performance brakes or stock??

Performance perferrably depending on money.

Is there a good website for focus parts? Can you link me to that CAI please, google got me nothing solid? Thanks again.

Also,
I've looked at exhaust systems. There a little pricey for me, can you guys just suggest a good muffler for me, it isn't for performance but mostly for sounde. I want it louder so I can hear the engine better over my stereo.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
go to focussalvage.com and upgrade your brakes to svt brakes front and rear

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Not all. The Zetec engine is a non-interferance engine, meaning if the valves are down, and the pistons are up, they don't collide. Now if that timing belt breaks, sure, the car won't run until you fix it, but thats all that is broken.

IIRC, Ford's recommend replacement interval on the timing belt is 100k miles. But it can't hurt to replace it earlier, in case it did break and leave you stranded somewhere.

The Duratec on the other hand is an interferance engine, so if the timing chain breaks, welcome to Bent Valve City.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
^^^ Well, most cars have non-interference engines, so if the timing belt goes the engine stops, dead yes, but the engine can be revived by replacing the timing belt. When you have an interference engine reviving it after a break is not nearly so simple. Essentially you'll have trashed the valve train, and probably the pistons.

As far as the original questions:
Yes, go after the timing belt right away. Second, I'd drain and flush the cooling system as that's probably overdue. I'd head for the plugs and wires next, and a change of the tranny fluid.
Run some fuel injector cleaner through the fuel system. I use Chevron Techron at every oil change.

On the brakes there are many non-budget busting options. EBC or Hawk pads are well recommended, also check British-American Transfer (http://www.batinc.net/focus.htm) for Mintex pads and various rotors. Brembo blank front rotors can be had fairly cheap from TireRack (the Focus front rotors are notoriously soft).

Good luck, and welcome aboard!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah cool,

Appreciate the replies. I've heard of Hawk break pads before, and good things about them too.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
There was another thread recently on timing belts. Ford does recommend 100K for changing, but someone posted theirs let go at 98K. So at 63K it doen't need to be at the very top of your list, but given the grief involved if it breaks I would probably change it before 100K. I will admit to being biased, I only have one car and it has to run. It's better for me to plan shop time and work around it than have something break....
I have to admit that so many car makers recommended changing the belts at 60K for so long that's where my brain defaulted to...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm,

How much does it usually cost to change at a dealer? a mechanic? yourself? Thanks guys. I know in some cars you have hold the motor up on stands to be able to change it, is the focus like this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts