Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, this isn't really a Focus question but here goes. i have a crapulent 96 Taurus that i run around in when my wife wants to use the Focus (I don't want to drive our crapulent MPV unless I reaaallllllly have to).

A few months back, I came out and tried to start it- but the battery was dead. At first I was really ticked because I had just replaced the battery (needlessly) and the alternator (which was toast) a few months prior. So d/c ed the battery and put it on a charger for a bit. Dropped it in and it started right up- AND held the charge.

I turned off the car and started to head inside and.... the lights were on! I checked the switch- it was off! When you turn off the lights, the tailights go off, but the headlights stay on. My highbeams don't work either.

Any thoughts? Right now I d/c the battery every time I walk away from the car (which isn't a huge deal) .

I don't want to stick any money into the thing, but if it's like a $10 fix.....

·
Jetsetter
6,650 Posts
could be a bad relay, in the closed (on) position for the head lights so when you turn the stwick off the head light relay doesent recgonize that its off and stays on and same for the tails there is a seperate relay for those too but that is open (off) when the stwich is off so the tails go out, that is what it sounds like to me i could be wrong but just a thought

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
^^^Relay problem is a good start.
I'd also check the switch itself.
It isn't something to do with an auto on/off feature that's buggered up is it?
I've seen that happen before where someone set it to "auto-on", and the lights never shut off after that. [dunno]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts