Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a zx5 and when I open the hatch the bare body underneath is dull but the body color. I guess you could call it the hatch jam area. The door jams are obviously the same as the outer part of the car. Since the hatch area is blue, can I just clear coat it to match the body.

·
here and there
23,092 Posts
Mine is the same way. I had a wagon before which had the same shiny paint in the hatch area...and it looked horrible after 4 years of putting stuff in and out. So I assumed they left the paint dull now to make it a bit more durable... So make sure you really need it shiny before you do it.

That said, I'm also not sure if the paint in the hatch area is metalic? It seems to be more of a dull undercoat? So just adding clearcoat may not do it. But if I'm wrong and it does have the metalic, I don't see why adding a clearcoat won't make it more like the outside paint.

Any paint experts out there?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
i wouldn't bother adding clearcoat. just get a good quality polish and you can probably polish to a nice shine. then wax it and seal it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
i know in my grey zx5 its not the same color... it looks like a primer or undercoating they did. thers not much protecting it, so why not just leave it covered with some carpet or something.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I will clear coat it and see what it looks like. I won't make it look any worse. Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
415 Posts
there is no point in clearcloating that of which is not exposed to the sun/ is supposed to be shiny. Not even BMW's have clearcoat on the inside of the creases ect. It not seen enought to need it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It is a matte finish that is appkied at the factory. The color is also a under hood color which usually dosn't have the metallics and pearls. Most companies do this including BMW and Mercedes because of the dirt that collects under the hood and decklid/hatch aera. Older BMWs were clear coated and after a few years they looked matte because all of the dirt and grime that gets embedded in the paint.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts