Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been...recruited...by a good friend of ming to help him redo his Integra's system. Now, I tend to go off the deep end when staring a new project. Right now, his car has an older Sony deck (decent for a Sony - solid EQ...coming from someone that hates most Sony car products-it's not bad) and a 12'' Type-S sub (can't remember the amp). His front speakers are "old school" (his words) Diamond Audio's. They are being powered off of the deck, but one is now crackling and the other is very quiet. Plus, the car is going away for winter, so it's time to start some new projects (like this...among LSD and maybe some other misc. turbo work).

So, what I'm looking for is recommendations for components. As far as what we carry at work (mainstream products - Alpine, Polk, Pioneer, etc.), the Alpine Type-R comp set seems to be the most promising so far. However, he's reasonably open to going with a non-mainstream brand (or will be once I convince him a bit more), so I'm looking for some ideas. I was thinking about MB Quart or CDT...

Thoughts? He's leaving the sub alone, and is just going to wire up a new 4-channel (with bigger power and a distro block) to power the speakers.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
IMO I would stick with name brand. With that said, I would get all around polk speakers powered by a matching 4 channel amp and then a pioneer head unit. And you might look into a cap if he is going to be running two amps.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^CDT and MB Quart are mainstream, they are just more "high end."

As for the cap, I don't think it's going to be necessary. His Type-S only is getting like 250-300 watts and the 4-channel won't push it over the edge once the four gauge wiring is in.

·
Banned
263 Posts
look into DLS audio and REALM audio. some of the BEST

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I found him a good deal on eBay of some CDT CL series 6.5'' components. He paid under $200 shipped, and the only "problem" is that they are last years model with this years tweeter because the woofers were factory seconds. However, they are fully functioning and brand new in the box. As it turns out, CDT defines factory second as a paint scratch on the basket.....

Anyway, my original plan was to have him run new wiring into the doors directly from the amp, which is still what I would like him to do, as I don't think the stock wiring would not be a fan of 150w RMS. However, apparently you can't run wiring through the door jam without removing the fender on the Integra. He asked me whether I thought it was "worth it." I told him that he could get away going either way, but piggy-backing onto the stock harness to get through the door jams isn't the *right* way to do it for a system as powerful as his will be.

I just wanted to check in with everyone here. I'm not off my rocker, right? My limit for using stock wiring on amped speakers is about 60-70 watts RMS, anything over that and I run new wires.

On a side note, his Teg has 5.25''s in the front. Weird. They are supposed to be 6.5''. Oh well, the new ones fit....but just barely.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think you are on the right track with the CDT equipment. They make some great stuff. Fairly high end, and still not fairly main stream. I think they have less than 20 retail stores across the US.

The CL set are great for the money, just be careful with the power you plan on using. You might need to keep a higher crossover point to handle the power.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking of somewhere between 80 and 100 hz for a crossover setting. The Type-S sub isn't a huge fan of earth shattering bass, so it should be right at home picking up where the comps are going to end.

I already told him that is sub is now the weak component. He's not into wicked crazy bass...just some bump for every now and then on the right song, so everything should be good.

Depending on how these things sound (the CDT's), I may look into some of them or their higher end stuff for my own car. I'm still looking at the Infinity Perfect 6.1's though...

·
Registered
168 Posts
The CDT CL line is nice.

I installed CDT EF-61CF in a Tiburon recently. I was very pleased with those speakers.

Currently the Focus has Diamond Audio D651s (mid-range in the kick-panel and tweeter in the a-pillar) with Image Dynamics CX64 (mid-bass) in the doors.

For a period of time before I got the custom kick-panels I didn't have the CX64's installed in the doors so the D651s were in the doors handling everything and was very nice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts