Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I have a 02 Spi sedan, with 60k miles on it. Recently, when I make hard left hand corners, it gives a rotational squeak that builds as it is turning, getting louder the more rotations the tires perform. It also happens when I take a higher speed left hand corner slightly. Interestingly enough, it doesn't happen in reverse. It is all stock, and the only thing I can think of is that the brakes were replaced about a month ago. I know everything is tight on the brakes, and I will recheck tomorrow. Essentially, I was wondering what the possible sources of the sound may be. Tomorrow I plan on checking the wheel bearing, brakes, and tierod ends for play, or loose bolts. I'm stumped, and was wondering if their is anything else I should check.
Thanks in advance,
Dylan [???:)]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well... it turns out that somehow, the caliper is rubbing the inside of the wheel when I step on the breaks.... but only on tight left handers. I think that their is something I'm doing wrong, as the caliper is not super stable, and rocks on the mounting pins, making it touch the insides of the wheels. Anyone have any sugestions?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well... it turns out that somehow, the caliper is rubbing the inside of the wheel when I step on the breaks.... but only on tight left handers. I think that their is something I'm doing wrong, as the caliper is not super stable, and rocks on the mounting pins, making it touch the insides of the wheels. Anyone have any sugestions?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mrmechanic said:
is it happening on both sides of the car or just one side?
Just on the passenger side... I can visibly see where it is slightly rubbing. I have no idea, and I'm stumped! I know that the fatory 14" rims have little clearance, but it should not come in contact. It's like the caliper is rocking upwards, and hitting it. I dunno!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
can you pull the wheel off and move the caliper with your hand? if so you need to take it to whoever put the brakes on

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured it out finally.... it was the stupid retaining ring on the outer brake pad.... it was scraping on the wheel when the brakes were engaged. It seems to have not seated entirely, so I moved it around and it clicked in about another milimeter, which fixed my issue [:D]
Boy am I happy!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts