Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 focus SEL, 107K miles.

About a month ago, the front end started making a noise concurrent with tire rotation. Mechanic replaced left front bearing, spindle, and ball joint. Still some noise, he thought it might be tire wear (it did sound something like a tire delamination). The left rear tire started making the noise later. As I was planning to replace the tires anyway, I had them replaced today.
Still getting the noise though on the front end. Back is quiet now. It sounds like it's coming from both front tire areas, but seems louder on the left (hard to be sure because of my hearing). It's a little hard to research this, as google thinks I'm trying to figure out how to rotate tires.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
IDK why you'd replace the spindle for. Spindles are pretty stout. More then likely its a bearing issue, whether it was installed correctly, or the spindle nut tighten correctly & to the right torque......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mechanic thought the spindle was damaged from the bearing being bad, since it was a couple of weeks before it could be replaced. In fact, he tried 3 new wheel bearings before he realized the spindle may have been a problem.

·
Registered
16,046 Posts
If the noise began instantly as the tires were rotated then the rear tire warped from oscillation as I have previously described to have idiots laugh at me. The rears go out of round with no heavy weight on them to damp it out and every FWD car on the planet does it in varying amounts. The rear tire then put on front makes noise as the front with more weight then gets enough bite to truly indicate the tire condition. Because of that the fronts will make noise 50% sooner than same tire on back does. Put it back on the back in the original position and it likely will shut up.

People freak at rotation tire noise and change the tires next for no reason. Like here. And then launch into other repairs due to simple tire noise. If you leave the noisy tires on back to run all the way out to dead you'll get 10-15% more tire wear to every set. Why the tire shops preach to rotate, it sells more product. BTDT for 30+ years, I NEVER rotate tires on FWD, except for ONE time, I buy in pairs and the old fronts go to the back. The old fronts having run on the heavy weight end go on back and stay perfectly quiet.

Crap Chinese bearings not correct ID to not fit on spindle? No surprise there. The spindle if the bearing skidded on it would have clearly shown damage to it.

·
Registered
16,046 Posts
Sure it wasn't the right(passenger) one? They can make a noise like that as there is a bearing there, the other side doesn't have it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What can I say? It's what he did and the noise was.gone. Even with my hearing loss, I could tell the noise was coming from the left

·
Registered
16,046 Posts
The problem being of course there is no part in a left side axle that can make the typical noise a bearing makes. They click or clunk or rattle instead of any roaring or whining or grinding. The outer end has balls that clunk in worn slots as they oscillate in/out as well as up/down, and the inner tripod if that type has bearings but they do not roll, rather they work one way and then the other, that again can't make that noise.

Could be they did a repair to cover another one up, like a bad wheel bearing install to ruin it and they add an axle to another bearing to charge you something. Many shops out there do things like that now. I worked parts for a while and I saw tire/wheel clients do ripoff like that all the time, not to mention the garages. Give some thought to everything beginning at a tire rotation that should have done nothing. Another reason I don't rotate, suddenly non-existent problems show up.

Why nobody ever touches my cars ever.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The mechanic said the noise/vibration was being transmitted to the wheel.

I'm not paranoid about this mechanic. He's a stand-up guy and has a good rep in my community.
He even did some work for me on a Sunday so I'd have my ride ready for Monday.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And just to clarify, this thread wasn't about tire rotation as in switching tires, it was about noise with tires rotating.
The word rotation is applicable to both scenarios.

·
Registered
16,046 Posts
Hey yours and do with it as you will.................I note though that you had to change as many parts on that one problem as I have on two cars through their complete lifetimes though. There is a simple axle check while turning in a parking lot that will reveal virtually anything one needs to know about axle wear. Since it was apart enough there is another simple check you can do that nobody ever does by working the axle in 6 arcs to check out the degree of wear inside the rzeppa joint, you look for the step wear on the ball notch arcs. Easy to find if it is there.

'...noise concurrent with tire rotation.'

I can't see anybody else at a shop interpreting that any different from the way I did.

Luck and I will leave you alone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts