Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well , I've searched through possible problems for the past 3 days . Unfortunately I can't figure out what this noise is . Little about the car . 2002 SVT focus . Bolt on procharger Kit , 10 psi , 286 whp , has a clutch masters stage 3 clutch as well . I've swapped out everything up front . Both CV axles , both wheel bearings are new , Tie ends are new , fresh sway bar links , ball joints were done last year . The noise I'm hearing is only when in motion driving straight , as soon as I hit the gas a loud tapping noise occurs . If I press the gas more the tapping gets faster . It's through all the gears . Doesn't happen when I hit the gas and its parked. Forgot to mention that I replaced the passenger side motor mount with a steeda poly mount , along with the lower dog bone with a CFM mount . Any ideas ?

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Maybe the accessory drive is rubbing or hitting something. When the engine is under load driving straight the movement could be pushing the belt or a pulley into something?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sound def sounds like it's coming from the drivers side . I feel the noise in my shifter as well . Thinking its clutch or trans related

·
Registered
427 Posts
I haven't replaced mine but it seems like a lot of people get bad axles. From what you're describing, that's what it sounds like to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It sounds like it is engine speed related, not road speed related. If it is engine speed related, it should be something before the transmission output. If it was road speed related, I'd check wheel bearings, axles and CVs. Since you are describing it vibrating the transmission, it sounds like it is most likely clutch or trans related.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll post up the results , yanking out the trans soon. It's definetly clutch or trans related . Nothing but problems with Clutch Masters Clutches and flywheels . This one is a stage 3 , hasn't seen much use at all and is only around a year old . I'm really hoping it's transmission related . I have at 3 extra transmissions .Part of me still wants to say it's the throw out bearing . Has a similar noise at idle , in motion it sounds like the same noise but much louder .

Attachments

·
w/ my magic bag
29,317 Posts
It sounds like it is engine speed related, not road speed related. If it is engine speed related, it should be something before the transmission output. If it was road speed related, I'd check wheel bearings, axles and CVs. Since you are describing it vibrating the transmission, it sounds like it is most likely clutch or trans related.
This^^^^+ the added poly psm, I would of stuck w/ the oem style clutch/flywheel. I'd be looking at the clutch disc, pressure plate, throw bearing & flywheel.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's killing me to find out what it is. I actually like the poly mounts . Car feels
Tighter IMO and I did notice the added vibration instantly though. It came on a parts car so I figured I would swap it over . My stock PSM mount was actually bad .

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
plus with 286 whp the OEM clutch woudnt hold up

·
w/ my magic bag
29,317 Posts
It's killing me to find out what it is. I actually like the poly mounts . Car feels
Tighter IMO and I did notice the added vibration instantly though. It came on a parts car so I figured I would swap it over . My stock PSM mount was actually bad .
The psm really helps tie the motor down. Does Exedy offer a clutch/flywheel for the svt?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd really like to keep my clutch masters flywheels and go with a different clutch . Assuming that this is the problem.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,317 Posts
I'd really like to keep my clutch masters flywheels and go with a different clutch . Assuming that this is the problem.
I'd use the flywheel & clutch from the same manufacturer. Thats what I've always done.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I've heard of people using different ones , problem is I really don't want to buy another flywheel.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just incase anyone was wondering what the noise was .

Attachments

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sheared off a few teeth . Just swapped in an extra transmission I had.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts