Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My focus has been making some noise since I had the tires rotated. I had the ford service department rotate them for me. I'm not sure why now, I probably should have done it myself.

The noise, or howling, is like a woowoo... or a wahwahwah... that happens only when I go above 45mph.

The tread wear is on the inner part of only the right front tire. The tires are pretty new (50,000 mile life and less than 5000 since they were put on). The tires are Kumo tires that are not directional.

I am guessing it is the alignment that is off? Maybe the balance? I have just 40,000 miles on the car. What the heck!?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm not sure about the alignment of the tires. But I can say that the set of Kumo Solus tires I owned were exceptionally noisy after a few thousand miles. It could be related to how the tires were made.

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
first go get the tires re balanced, while this is most likely not the cause its the cheapest option, and depending on where you got the tires they might do it for free.

If your alignment is really off since you only have 5000 miles on the tires you may have chewed thru the tire already and it would be "chopped" giving you the sound your hearing. so get that checked out as well

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will get a realignment and the tires balances as It should probably be done anyway.

But after looking around, I found that the inside of my front right tire is wearing, as if maybe cupping or feathering. The blocks of tread are wearing into a wedge shape causing a slope on each tread block.

It baffles me that the sound began only after i rotated the tires, it never happened before.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sounds like one got cupped when running on the back? Needs alignment?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
run your hand across the tire and see if it's choppy, if the tires are out of balance it wont cause a noise, your gonna get a steering wheel shake at highway speeds (around 55+) if the inner tread is starting to wear alot more than the rest of the tire definitley get an alignment done and make sure none of your steering/suspension parts are bent or broken (such as inner/outer tie rods/control arms/etc.) i'd definitley suggest new front tires and an alignment though, but usually if you dont rotate (almost) any tires every 3-5 thousand miles they get noisey depending on the driver.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
It's probably just tire wear- shortly after rotating tires do tend to make a little more noise until they wear in to what the suspension does to the individual tires.

If you don't have one already- many alignment and tire sales shops offer lifetime alignment and balancing. I use Firestone because they are closest. Their lifetime balancing is for the life of the tires not the car, but it's well worth it if you use it. I can tell you that I have aftermarket wheels that use stick-on weights which fall off frequently, and every time I've taken it in for balancing- I get a free 4 wheel alignment since I have the service. They didn't even charge me for the shims that the old Aerostar used up like candy corn on Halloween.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
actual experience
2004 zetec wagon auto
sounded like the right rear wheel bearing was noisy
Tire replacement solved that and I don't know why!
But some time later that sway plate[?] broke a weld which was replaced
Service adviser said either rotate your tires every other oil change or don't rotate them at all

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took it in for alignment and balancing. The left rear wheel was off quite a bit they said. I am guessing that it was the left rear that was rotated to the front right. I dunno, its possible.

Anyway, no sounds on the test drive that I took it on when it came back. I still have the same Kumos on it that were making the noise, but no noise :D

I think the next time I rotate my tires I will do them back to front and front to back. I'm not going to switch them form side to side (which would make then run in the opposite direction than they were). The tires aren't directional, but maybe this makes a difference in problems like these?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have 2 Dean tires on the front currently that are badly cupped on the inside edge and sound like snow tires at lower speeds on the front....on the back they "whine"... sounding like a bad bearing.

I've now aligned the car myself...so I'm expecting not to have this issue again...but the current front tires aren't going to get better.

I still will rotate the tires probably every 5K in a crosswise pattern so each tire gets rotated to a different position each time....or as many as possible.

I'm phasing into Kumho Ecowings..with 2 on the back now. These are LRR tires that might just pay for themselves over time? They have an outside, but aren't directional.

They might have shaved that tire...where they put it on a machine that smooths the tread?

Running higher pressures will sometimes reduce tire noise.

I took it in for alignment and balancing. The left rear wheel was off quite a bit they said. I am guessing that it was the left rear that was rotated to the front right. I dunno, its possible.

Anyway, no sounds on the test drive that I took it on when it came back. I still have the same Kumos on it that were making the noise, but no noise :D

I think the next time I rotate my tires I will do them back to front and front to back. I'm not going to switch them form side to side (which would make then run in the opposite direction than they were). The tires aren't directional, but maybe this makes a difference in problems like these?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I know charkol got his noise taken care of, but I had the same problem. My problem turned out to be a combination of trailing arm and wheel bearing on right rear. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wifes right rear wheel bearing was shot also. now that I have replaced it and got the car back together, I need to get it aligned so it will stop jumping around in the back when I hit a good bump.

Tires also need re-balanced too. I had car aligned at gateway in jonesboro, ar and they cant get anything right.. gonna get it done at sears next time

1 - 12 of 12 Posts