Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some thoughts on how to find a noise. Its very faint, but def audible. It sounds like its coming from somewhere around the front (inside) passenger area, or maybe the passenger side mirror. It generally occurs at ~1500-1800rpm. It sounds just like when a light spring is vibrated, or electrical signal interference on the radio (its not the radio though). its a soft "zzzZZZZIIiiiinnnnggg". if fades in then out. I think its a spring, but I am not finding any springs unless there hidden (are there springs in the outside mirrors?). Or something under the dash maybe? we have 'touched' everything easily touchable to try and locate the sound. its so high pitched though its very hard to locate. The book is not much help in this regard. So maybe someone with more insight as to how things are put together may have some thoughts hopefully.
Thanks

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
is it like a rattling kinda noise? like buzz rattling?

oh never mind, but i had something rattling for me and it was the (a pillar's correct?) a pillar thing on the driver's side side was pretty much loose....

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is it like a rattling kinda noise? like buzz rattling?

oh never mind, but i had something rattling for me and it was the (a pillar's correct?) a pillar thing on the driver's side side was pretty much loose....
No, not a rattle or a buzz. a very soft 'zing' sound. something is having a sympathetic vibration to the engine. Do not have to be moving. But its high pitched, 1KHZ or higher. And its really reminiscent of a light spring. Wife took a drive with me and she agrees its coming somewhere from the front passenger side area. but it could be under the dash, from above, etc. Because its so high pitched, it cuts through radio and road noise. Even the exhaust system. But on the other hand its not loud by any definition. "ssssSSSSIIiiiinnnnnggg" . It must be a low mass, high density item to my thinking. Its not 'touchable' from normal seating position that we can discover. It can't be something like the clutch return spring, thats to heavy for this sound. Must find it! Kill,Kill,Kill [hatchet]

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea! Found it. Actually, the Ford shop manager did. The A/C lines (under the hood, right by the firewall) were touching ever so lightly. At 1800RPM >> "zzzZZZZIIiiiinnnnggg".

I am going to make a spacer for those lines I think. I was shocked how fast he found it. 5 minutes flat. Talk about experience!!! (And no charge!)

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
^^^ Thats cool...It's amazing how good some guys are at that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts