Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has 11,000 miles on it and there is a loud clunking sound coming from the transmission only when the Air conditioning is on. It won't start making the noise right away, but when it does it is loud and very annoying. I have taken it to the dealership twice and the first time they already replaced the flywheel. The noise was gone for a bit and then It came back. I am not understanding this and there is no reason why it should be making this noise and it isn't normal like the dealership is saying. It is almost like there is a rattle coming right from the transmission or maybe something is loose in there. Ford claims they have no idea what it is and just to keep driving the car because it isn't a safety issue.. Anybody else hear of this?? I am not happy about this and lemon law is coming if they can't get it right...

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Go hop in your car. Start the engine, allow it to idle in N with the clutch disengaged- pedal up. Listen to see if you hear the noise. When you do, push the clutch in. Does the noise go away?

If yes, that is normal, and it's not going to damage anything. It's the release bearing rattling between the slave cylinder and the pressure plate. Mine has been doing it since 10k miles, and I have 130k on the same clutch.

If clutch position doesn't affect the noise, then it's something else. Maybe a loose bolt holding the compressor in place.

Hopefully our Ford Corporate Tech will be along, and will help you escalate the issue if it's not the issue I described. I would even go so far as to search for one of her posts, and send her a private message giving your VIN, your name, and the name of the dealer you're seeing. Search for Ford Customer Service on this site, and you'll find some of her posts. Ford Corporate is concerned with their customers, and how the company is perceived.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I did try that with the clutch and the noise does go away. Although it did go away is it supposed to have a real hard knock from the transmission when it is sitting idle in neutral? I got some video of this and I was thinking about taking it to a dealership and having them listen to it since it doesn't happen like this all the time. Thank you for the info!!

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
I don't know about the other knock you're referring to. I'd have to listen to it. The only sound I can tell you for sure is not a sign of damage or imminent self destruction is that knocking that goes away when you press down on the clutch pedal. Like I wrote above, that sound is completely harmless. As far as any other sounds, isolate those, tell the dealer tech that you're familiar with the throw-out (or release) bearing rattle noise, so that they can try to pinpoint other noises that might indicate a more serious problem.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hi Brettg701,

I'm the Ford Corporate contact whynotthinkwhynot referred to. Continuing to hear the noise after multiple trips to the dealer must be frustrating. Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state and I will assist with your concerns.

~Natasha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts