Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed late Friday after driving on my new 17" wheels for a day (coming from my stock 15" wheels) that I am getting what sounded like a grinding sound from the front left accompanied by vibrations. It happens when driving straight at any constant speed (at low speed, 5mph or so, you can hear the grinding sound repeat itself at the same interval, as you get faster it turns into a constant grind and vibration due to wheel spinning faster). Left turns also exhibit the sound and vibration. When the wheel is turned right, all vibration and noise is nonexistent.

This lead me to believe that a CV joint on the left axle went bad quickly (I haven't ever seen one to that bad that quick). Yesterday, I visually checked the boots, with no rips on them. I also checked for wheel bearing failure, and that seemed fine as well. I sprayed the hub/spline area with pb blaster as I was thinking that I would be replacing the axle in the near future.

I decided to call it a day and take the 17"s off to clean and put the stock wheels back on. I needed to step out to pick up a few things, and noticed that all grinding and vibrations disappeared. Totally gone. I checked the front left wheel for any rubbing, but there are no signs of it.[scratch]

Any ideas of what this could be? I would think that if it was a CV joint it wouldn't matter which wheels are on the car, though I could be wrong. The only thing that maybe could be an issue is I have had a squeak when I go over the curb in front of my driveway.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Some suggestions to investigate: What's the wheel offset of your new wheels? Large difference in offsets between aftermarket and stock can cause the brake calipers to rub. Differences in the brake caliper casting roughness between the two sides perhaps? What about the wheel weights? They are also likely different between the right and left side.
Try swapping wheels from side to side (providing you don't have unidirectional tire treads) and see if the noise follows the wheel.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Offset is 45 on 7.5" wide wheels. Checked both caliper and inner wheel for any rubbing, and there was none. I have not had the chance to throw the wheels back on the car to check (they are directional, so I will rotate front to rear and see..).

After 130 miles of driving on my stock wheels, no strange sounds as of yet.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Stock wheel is 15X6 with 52.5mm offset according to info on FF.
Yours: 17x7.5 with 45 mm offset
Using this http://www.1010tires.com/wheeloffsetcalculator.asp I calculate 12mm less inner clearance. That's a fair chunk; almost 1/2".
Then again it could be coincidence: a dodgy bearing may also be possible. A wider wheel would put more stress on a failing bearing. Maybe just enough to make it complain...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it is a lot of wheel and tire under the car. They are for my autox setup. There is no evidence of rubbing on anything in the wheel well or on the rim/tire.

I'm thinking it has to do with either the axle or wheel bearing. Say you have the clutch half engaged to get rolling, you can hear the grind perfectly for each rotation of the wheel. I just don't want to throw money at what I think will solve the problem, to find out it wasn't the issue. [?|]

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
A "grind" with each wheel rotation could be brake-related. Everything checks out OK in that department?
Try the back to front wheel test and see where that leads you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was planning on flipping around the front and rear wheel to see where that leads me. I just find it hard that it is a brake issue if it goes away when the wheel is turned right.

I will report back after I get home and put the wheels on the car and drive around a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts