Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the market for an SVT focus and I had found 2 here in Edmonton Alberta. Both ZX5's, both CD silver. One was from a private sellera and one was from a ford dealership. The dealership was asking 11900 CDN w/ 36xxx miles and the private owner was asking 14000 w/ 38xxx miles. I went into the dealership and was told that it was brought in from the states 3 years ago by the owner . It was fairly weird to me because 3 years ago the canadian dollar was at 60 cents so there was no way that could be worth bringing in. Anywhoo I test drove it and it drove nice and was told the clutch was replaced but they had NO papers to show for anything. Then I was told that there was no powertrain warrenty left whatsoever ( even though the private owner had a 100,000 Km warrenty with his). I got the dealership down to 10,500 and we made a deal. The next day I run the carfax to find out that it had gone from one state to another, to another, back to the original state where it was purchased. It had only been registered here in Alberta for 6 Months. Not the 3 years that I was told. Suffice to say I called them and told them the deal was off and I offered private guy $13000 cdn and now am a proud owner of a MINT Svt ( with warrenty!). Am I ever glad I spent that $30 to get the carfax.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
thats why you never buy a used car without carfax, even though it had a lower price it was a bastard child that no one wanted. good call on taking the better cared for one. I checked the numbers and that seems kinda high for a svt, it came out to be $10693 US dollars, but i guess with the warranty it was worth the extra, plus it has super low miles, im at 84,000

·
Registered
383 Posts
carfax isnt always right. I have had experiences where carfax reported a wreck on a car that had never been wrecked and vise versa. If the car was in good shape who the hell cares where it was before??? I never have used carfax. The guy next door to me is a dealer and we can look up vins on manheim.com and carfax them and about a 1/30 dont match.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts