Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, 01 zx3 here, 175k miles. A few months ago on a short trip, I noticed my turn signals would not work. No light on the dash and no clicking. I tried the hazard lights, and they worked, then right after that I tried the turn signals again, and they worked. They have been fine since then, except today it did it again. This time same thing, no lights and no clicking sound, AND the hazard lights wouldnt come on either. I shut the car off, turned it back on, and still nothing. However when I got home 5 minutes later and pull into my garage, of course they start working again.

Also, not sure it this is totally related, but last night I tried to put my cruise control on, and nothing worked, it just wouldnt come on.

I'm gonna go tomorrow and have my battery checked. Its about 3 years old, but I just checked it with my voltage tester, and I get 11.9volts when the car is off, and 14.6v when running, both seem normal to me. I also had the alternator replaced about three years ago too, but again if im getting 14.6v when running it would seem thats not the problem.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm assuming its not a fuse as it happens intermittently. Could it just be something in the steering wheel itself since both problems have to do with the steering column?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
ZX3? Does that have a hatch?
If so, check out the umbilical that runs to the hatch.
There are many posts about broken/shorted/open wires that run thru that umbilical. The insulation gets cracked.
A good repair involves using electronic solder [rather than plumbing] and using heat shrink tubing on either side [but not inside] that umbilical.

The cruise control is connected to the brakes lights, so if the brake light wire is shorted/broken or whatever that will cause it.

This problem is common in the early Focuses like yours 2001

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ZX3? Does that have a hatch?
Yep

The cruise control is connected to the brakes lights, so if the brake light wire is shorted/broken or whatever that will cause it.
I was not aware of that at all. It sounds like that could be the problem though.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I post this pic about once a week.
Ha I did a search and didn't see that at all. Is that the one at the top of the hatch when its open? Or is there another one somewhere else?

edit: just did the cruise control test listed here:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262759

Came up 4 blinks which seems to be a bad wheel sensor. I did just have two new tires put on the front the other day, I'm guessing that's what the problem is with the cruise.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Is that the one at the top of the hatch when its open? Or is there another one somewhere else?
Yes, top of the hatch between the hinges within the hatch sill. It's the only one.

Came up 4 blinks which seems to be a bad wheel sensor. I did just have two new tires put on the front the other day, I'm guessing that's what the problem is with the cruise.
Wheel sensors have nothing to do with cruise; they're for ABS or traction control. The system being referred to by the four flash code is the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) or wiring or cruise control motor. The VSS communicates actual road speed to the ECU/PCM which uses a stepper motor to open the throttle via a cable if there's a difference between the set cruising speed and actual speed.
The VSS is on the passenger side of the diff; the stepper motor and control is under/near the driver's side headlight.
I'd fix the wiring in the rear hatch harness first because problems there are obvious. If that doesn't fix your cruise - and it may - then start diagnosing the cruise control components. In other words, simple stuff first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts