Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 SPI and I must have an open or a short some were preventing the starter from turning.Does anyone here have an idea how to step by step trouble shoot this problem?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
looks like you got everything under control:looking at your avatar picture all you need now is time and money good luck
theres a instruction i can give you out of the chiltons repair manuel
starting system general information and precautions

the starting system consists of a gear reduced starter motor,battery ignition switch,relay and wires connecting them. the silinoid is directlyon the starter motor.
starter system testing
if the starter motor does not turn at all when the switch is operated, make sure that an automatic transaxel models ,the selector lever is in park or neutral
make sure the battery is fully charged and that all leads both at the battery and the starter soleinoid are terminals (wires) are clean and secure.
if the starter motor spins but the engine is not cranking the over running clutch or the reduction gears in the starter motor may be slipping, in which case the stater motor must be overhauled or replaced(other possibillites are that the starter motor mounting bols are looseor that teeth are missing from the fly wheel /ring gear.)
if when the switch is actuated, the starter does not operate at all but the soleinoid clicks,then the main probelem lies with the BATTERY,THE MAIN SOLEINOID CONTACTS,OR THE STARTER MOTOR ITSSELF!
if the soleinoid plunger cannot be heard to click when the switch is actuated ,the battery is faulty,there is a fault in the cicuit ,or the soleinoid itsself is defective!

to chaeck the solinoid connect a FUSE JUMPER LEAD between the battery and theignition switch terminal on the solinoid. if the starter motor now operates the solinoid is ok and the problem is the IGNITION SWITCH
if the starter motor still does not operate , remove it the brushes and the cumulater may be checkedbut if the fault persists the the motor should be replaced or taken to an auto electrition for testingand repair!
the solinoid cotacts could be burned the motor is faulty or there is a bad connection in this case take it to a repair shop aND HAVE THEM CHECK IT WITH A VOLT METER

1 - 2 of 2 Posts