Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I've been looking around on here, got some good stuff to look for, but I'm still having trouble. I have a 2002 Focus 2.0 It was wrecked. I did a front change out. Hood, Radiator, headlights, and what not. I got it back together. The car ran for about 20 minutes. I shut it off to fix the radio, and climate controls. Started it back up. ran for another 20 minutes. I forgot to bleed the brakes. So I did that, it started, idled for a few seconds then shut off. Now the car wont do anything. I've switched out all the relays )I have a donor car) I've checked fuses. I have cleaned up grounds/ added another ground from the battery to the body. I have taken the steering column apart. Everything seems to be in working order. The odometer has dashes in it. I've read that is a PCM not communicating. I noticed now, when I turn on climate controls, drop it out of park, hit the brakes, the windshield wipers come on. So, I'm thinking its the PCM. I was wanting to get some feed back before I start going after that. I know I gotta match numbers and get the key, or just have the dealer do it. So I was wanting to make sure thats what it is.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat.

You've got a much simpler problem, or at least the usual cause for it is quite simple.

There's a small ground wire from harness to battery negative that is for the PCM - without that the PCM won't work. Dashes in the Odo say it isn't working and the ground side there is MUCH more common as an issue than the power supply side.

Blk/Or wire typically for your year/type.

EASY to have it break off, fall down & get lost.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Not sure with what you mean by turning on climate controls, but does it only do weird stuff with them on? Maybe something got hooked up incorrectly, or something caused the PCM to fry itself. I'm probably wrong but I saw no responses so I'm trying to help you get this thread started lol

·
Registered
16,042 Posts
Actually there can be THREE small wires next to the ground side of battery, that black and orange one is the killer though.

Just did grounds on mine and the 3 smaller wires, main engine ground, chassis main ground at fenderwell, and just for kicks I added another big chassis one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will look for the black and orange one. I cant remember if I seen that one or not. Thanks guys, I will let you know tomorrow when I go back to the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts