Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a new (re-manufactured) head on my 2000 focus spi because the old one cracked. I have good compression, good spark, good fuel and I know it is timed correctly and still it won't start. It doesn't even fart or sputter. It sometimes backfires into the intake. Spraying starting fluid into the intake doesn't do anything. I have no other ideas. Would a bad camshaft or crankshaft position sensor be to blame?

Ben

·
Registered
14 Posts
no start

Dude,,,if you have good spark, and good fuel then it can only be timing and when you said it backfires out the intake thats a sure sign timeing is way off. This thing ran fine before you changed the head,,,right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it ran fine before I did anything to it. I know everything points to the timing being off but its not. Attempting to start it with the exhaust manifold off made it appear to be firing on the exhaust stroke. How is this possible?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After verifying the timing was correct I took it all apart again. There were no apparent problems. I put it back together and it started right up. I think the ecu just needed to be reset and disconnecting the battery did it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts