Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I have a 2002 Zetec Auto. No spark issue. Engine cranks with fuel but no spark. I have power on the center pin of the ingnition coil. Coil tests good. So does anybody have test procedured for:

Crank Sensor
Camshaft Sensor
Ignition Capacitor

Further to these three items testing good am I to assume that PCM is crapped out.

THanks,

·
Registered
21 Posts
You can test a crank sensor with a multi meter.
Remove sensor and clean

1st check the ohms Connect meter inputs to the pins on the sensor and set meter to ohms, you should get a reading between 200-500 ohms.

connect crankshaft sensor back up to the car with the multi meter connected and not the cars wiring. set meter onto volts and crank the car you should get a reading of 0.2 to 2.0 AC volts.

Any thing different I would get a replacement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.

Ok so i will do these tests, i am assuming that the camshaft sensor test would be the same? Or should i bother?

Also can you test for output on the 2 signal wires to the coil coming from the PCM?

As noted i do have 12v on the center pin, just no signal to fire....i'm assuming.

Anybody with a test procedure for the coil?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok,

After checking with former Ford mechanic info is as follows. Camshaft position sensor is what governs spark. Checked with Ohm meter at 442. Sounds in range.

Next is to put on a full ford tool. Check codes etc.

Will update.

I wish it had a carb and a regular old ignition.[headbang]

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Hmmm, did you try pulling on the wires at the coil plug? Those have been known to come disconnected internally- but appear to be ok from the outside. Yank on the wires individually with the plug secured.

Did you check the coil resistance?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes,

Coil reads 6ohms from center pin to plug output. 10-12k from plug to plug(hot leads)

I have not checked for continuity within the plug but I will tonight.

As noted i have the 12v on center lead.

Hmmm,

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
6 ohms seems low, but I don't know what it should be for this car specifically. In the past I've seen values of 13-17 ohms. It could be good though, I don't know the value for this particular coil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts