Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 Zx3, she turns over but doesn't even hint at fire. Compression is good, timing is good, pulled plug at night, no spark. I put a special light on fuel injector harness and there is no power to injectors either. Fuel pump is new and it working. Please help.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
PATS light acting normal? No fast flashing when cranking? (should go to solid when turned on, then off cranking)

No dashes in the odo instead of miles?

Do any fuse checks yet?

If all above are fine, do you have a scan tool avail. to double check for pending codes & other tests?

BTW - what kind of "timing" check did you do? Not simple on a duratec. Check the crank pulley for turning normally along with the cams? (peek in oil fill)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No dashes crank and cams are turning, pats light is solid, engine management fuse and relay are good, are there any other fuses or relays, could it be a crank sensor or cam sensor? I have sprayed ether and no pop either.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have replaced the crank sensor and camshaft sensor, still no spark or injector fire. Any other problems besides the ecu?

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
pats light is solid
What does that mean? Any chance your saying solid "on"? PATS light should be completely turned off, not even flashing, while starting the engine.

A bad PCM is very rare. I would keep digging around.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry,my mistake, when key is in the ignition it is solid, when it cranks it goes out. I checked all for the fuses, relays, and the pcm diode. The wiring the to the cps was okay. I'm lost

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Once key is moved to ON (and engine is off) PATS light should turn off after 2 or 3 seconds. Is yours doing this?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Shouldn't have any affect on nothing happening, but did the new crank sensor have it's timing set?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update! I hooked a different ecu and tricked it into using a different key so the pats was not freaking out, aaaaand..... dee dee dee dee dee! Nothing... just crank.. still no spark or injectors.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'm still wondering if you're getting power where needed, do you get any to the coils when the key is on?

Setting the timing is involved, Timing tool pin is officially used to stop the crank at TDC#1 then a bolt to fit is used to lock the crank pulley in position while using the alignment tool to set the new sensor to the notched wheel on that pulley (needs the right distance away & sideways location).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hooked a multi meter up to the coils and injectors and there is no voltage with the key off. When key is on there is voltage, while cranking the voltage drops

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
How are you measuring voltage?

Negative to ground or across the pins?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did them across the pins, I'm not really sure how to measure, I just put it on the volt setting and saw numbers move around

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I just looked back at the first post, where you said you "pulled the plug & didn't see spark at night".

If you didn't use a jumper cable from plug base to a good ground, you wouldn't see any spark.

One thing I'm wondering about, there's a small ground lead from the harness at the passenger side of the engine to ground near the shock tower - is that intact?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will try that tonight with a cable and there is a ground but it's part of the radio filter and thats never beem hooked up for like the past 3 years lol

1 - 20 of 58 Posts