Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again, my 2003 Se pzev 2.3l doesn't come with a rpm meter (it's manual) I've driven manual before and this the first car i've owned that is manual. My modl only has the arrows when to shift. Where can I get a RPM gauge and how do I install it? I really want to see my rpms to have a better understanding of the performance of my car. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You'll find all the options here in MkI Interior mods (moved thread).

A new instrument cluster from '03-'04 duratec engined model is the easiest way to get a tach. Mileage follows the cluster so getting one near in mileage to yours is best.

Automatics got the tach cluster & manuals didn't, make sense - right?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'll find all the options here in MkI Interior mods (moved thread).

A new instrument cluster from '03-'04 duratec engined model is the easiest way to get a tach. Mileage follows the cluster so getting one near in mileage to yours is best.

Automatics got the tach cluster & manuals didn't, make sense - right?
Sorry, i'm still a noob when it comes to the different terminology being used. What is a tach? Mileage follows the cluster? Huh sorry im lost lol.

·
Registered
123 Posts
A tachometer is the rpm gauge you are looking for. Mileage follows the cluster, so if the car you pulled cluster from read 50,000 miles then thats what it will read on your car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A tachometer is the rpm gauge you are looking for. Mileage follows the cluster, so if the car you pulled cluster from read 50,000 miles then thats what it will read on your car.
So I need to find a 133K cluster or something very close to my mileage? What's the average price range and best place to look for one? Junkyard and on here? Lol

·
Registered
325 Posts
Would be easier to buy an aftermarket piece at your local parts store. Just make sure to not rev it too high as the parts store one.wikl go up to 9000 rpm or more but your engine won't (without blowing up).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would be easier to buy an aftermarket piece at your local parts store. Just make sure to not rev it too high as the parts store one.wikl go up to 9000 rpm or more but your engine won't (without blowing up).
Not installing one for speed, so it shouldn't be a problem just want to keep a close eye on how well the car is performing in general. Have a good friend that knows how to install, im going to pick it up from the store, I might go with a new cluster later on, but it isn't necessary now.

·
Registered
753 Posts
@sailor Would the same be an option for my car? 05 zx3 dtec.

Could the mileage electronics be swapped?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@sailor Would the same be an option for my car? 05 zx3 dtec.

Could the mileage electronics be swapped?
I've been reading up on this I'm pretty sure you can do it, the key thing is finding a cluster that has very close to the mileage of yours. Because the odometer is a digital readout, if the mileage is off then you would have trouble finding a place to reprogram it to your current odometer read out. Im going to buy an aftermarket tachometer off amazon then install myself. If you want I'll show you how it works out.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Id rather have a cluster. Even if I cannot locate one close to my mile range I could look at replacing the electronics inside the cluster that hold the mileage number. Or not, I've not looked in it to know for sure.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Look at all the old threads here on hooking up an aftermarket tach. before trying it, they don't hook up easy any more.

There isn't a coil signal to hook it up to, needs a "tach driver" module or some fancy wiring. Don't remember the exact options as I didn't do it myself, used a Cluster I lucked out & got for $25 from the same family I bought SVT wheels from.

Older cars had a switched hot to a coil you could tap into for a tach. signal, ours aren't wired that way at all causing the issue.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Id prefer ODBII statistics over just a tach gauge.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Get a cluster with a tachometer (RPM gauge) from a junkyard. Try and find one with a little more miles on it than your car. When the miles on both clusters match--install the new cluster.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts