Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my clutch pedal fail on me today while I was out driving around. Luckily I was able to get into a gas station and called AAA to get it towed to the mechanic. I have no pressure in the clutch pedal and no way of shifting into gear.

After some research here, I understand it's either the clutch master cylinder (CMC) or the slave cylinder. However, I saw a bunch of brake/clutch fluid leaking under the car and none in the driver side pedal assembly or on the floor mats. Does this rule out the possibility of it being the CMC?

I also was checking the brake reservoir and didnt notice any drop in level...

Hope its not the slave as I was hoping to detail this thing out soon sell it!

Let me know if I can provide any other info to help diagnose...Thanks

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Can you see where it's leaking at? If it's the salve cylinder it would either leak from the line going into the slave on top of the trans or leaking out at the small gap at the bottom where the trans and motor meet up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Had the same thing a few months back on my 02. I would say its the slave cylinder or part of the hydraulic line going to the slave cylinder. Do you see fluid down the front or coming out of the bottom of the tranny? My cmc leaked fluid for quite awhile before I changed it and it was leaking behind the pedal onto my floor mat. From my understanding its advisable to replace the clutch/flywheel also as they are probably covered in brake fluid. How many.miles on the vehicle?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had the same thing a few months back on my 02. I would say its the slave cylinder or part of the hydraulic line going to the slave cylinder. Do you see fluid down the front or coming out of the bottom of the tranny? My cmc leaked fluid for quite awhile before I changed it and it was leaking behind the pedal onto my floor mat. From my understanding its advisable to replace the clutch/flywheel also as they are probably covered in brake fluid. How many.miles on the vehicle?
Hopefully its part of the hydraulic line...it failed rather quickly and havent seen any fluid leaking in the pedal area before or after today, only under the car. Car has 98K on it right now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you see where it's leaking at? If it's the salve cylinder it would either leak from the line going into the slave on top of the trans or leaking out at the small gap at the bottom where the trans and motor meet up.
I have it parked in front of the shop right now, so will have to go back and observe tomorrow. I couldnt get a very good view without my jack, but will report back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE:
So after a month in the shop (long story, went out of town and mechanic held onto it like a boss) turns out the slave cylinder failed as feared.[V]
I went for the plunge and got it fixed, installed a whole new clutch and flywheel while they were in there as well.

Car runs and feels a lot tighter now, but damn, that fly wheel still rattles! Not as bad as before but its pretty incredible how noisy it is. Oh well, still too fun to drive so its hard to hear it! [driving]

Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts