Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I was driving my car around and when I stopped at a gas station I went to turn the car back on and nothing. Not even recognizing my key is in the ignition. Headlights radio dash lights and gauges all don't work. Really trying to figure it out. Any help would be appreciate.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Check the battery terminal connections & give them a wiggle.

They shouldn't move, but if loose wiggling can improve connection.

ALL connections should be checked & cleaned, battery/charging will need a test if you get it going just to make sure.

Battery COULD be dead, it does happen at times when they are old.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New battery, new alternator, new battery terminals and went back over and reconnected all wires going into the battery. That has not helped unfortunately. I was informed it could possibly be an ignition switch?

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
^Possible

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Obviously meter your new batt and check BOTH ground wires not just at the batt terminal, but where the grounds bolt to the body. Your batt should read 12.4 or higher, or it's a dead new one. (Happens sometimes when they sit for a long time on the shelf)

My car sat for 2 months one time because I bought a dead new one from az when my old one died and started making the car electronics act crazy. I didnt test the new one when I bought it, and bought one that had sat forever with no recharge.

The car acted the same with the new dead battery, so I let the car sit, thinking there was some crazy electrical problem I couldn't find lolol. Finally one day I got desperate and swapped the new one out for another at az. I took my meter with me, (you ALWAYS should!) and tested all 11 in my batt size, and bought the one with the highest voltage. Car fired up perfect. I was ashamed of myself for that one for a bit hehehe.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys. I really do appreciate it. I have a meter and I will check when I get home tonight to be sure. If that's not the problem I will looking into the ignition cylinder.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
That's pretty low, yes, especially if it's brand new.

Did you check the wiring pigtail to the alternator? Those tend to fail on the 1st-gen Foci and will cause your nice new battery to die.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i will check on that this weekend. no light at the house to work outside with. Had the focus for 5 years now and it has fought me the whole way. Thinkin it may be time for a switch up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts