Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum but I'm already addicted...tons of information !!

However, I have a little problem with my Focus 2000 LX. When I turn on the A/C, I don't have power anymore, I can still drive the car but if I need to accelerate the car will "caugh" a little and take 2 seconds before starting to accelerate.

Plus, on the highway for example, I can push the gas as much as I want, the car won't go faster, or maybe after a few seconds only, which used a lot of gas for nothing and is dangerous if I have to accelerate to avoid an obstacle for example.

Any idea of what it could be ? I don't have much money to spend so before going to a car repair store I wanted to have your opinion.

Thank you !!

·
Registered
459 Posts
I don't think that's the problem at all. The problem is very simple. These cars don't have any power to begin with, so turning on the A/C just robs what little power there is. Simple fact of life my friend!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion.

I read in another thread that a "UDP" could solve the problem. I'm not an english native speaker so some english technical terms such as "UDP" do not ring any bell....

What is a UDP ?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Under Drive Pulley. I don't know whether that will make a difference, or not. I have just learned to live with the issue in small cars like this. Now, my truck has a V8 and the A/C really doesn't draw a noticeable amount of power!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
As for the cough... look to the A/C compressor.

For the highway throttle... get a 65mm Throttle Body upgrade. Best money you will spend. Makes the peddle feel like it is working right.

And... my .02... a UDP on a 4 cylinder car is pretty useless.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I could live with this issue, but I live in Miami, and I use my car 6 hours a day, so without A/C, I would just melt on my seat... :)

I guess my car needs an A/C check-up then.

·
Registered
289 Posts
thats just part of owning 4 banger

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Really....these cars are not that under-powered. Turning on the AC does rob a little power, but hardly enough to be very noticeable. I suspect something different.

The AC compressor may be locking up (hard to spin). It might turn enough to let the AC work, but still causing an excessive drag on the engine. If you take off the belt, the compressor pulley should turn easy (if not the bearing is locking up). If you put a socket on the compressor shaft nut, you should be able to turn it over by hand.

Normally if the compressor starts to lock up, the drive belt will start to make noise......never know though.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
x2

I don't think that's the problem at all. The problem is very simple. These cars don't have any power to begin with, so turning on the A/C just robs what little power there is. Simple fact of life my friend!
i wil 2nd that. only thing you can do is not run the a/c or it might help a lil get a udp set[thumb]

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now that you say so, it's true that one of the belts starts to make noise, but only when the engine is cold, after 5 minutes the noise is gone. I checked the belt and the belt look ok.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use to drive smaller cars with 1.4 liters engine for example, and with or without A/C it does not make any difference.

Plus the Focus is a 2.0 L engine, which is not a small engine if I compare to most of the small european cars.

Well, I will take my car to a car repair store and ask them to check system. I can't believe that an engine is too small to run an A/C compressor.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
sorry

I use to drive smaller cars with 1.4 liters engine for example, and with or without A/C it does not make any difference.

Plus the Focus is a 2.0 L engine, which is not a small engine if I compare to most of the small european cars.

Well, I will take my car to a car repair store and ask them to check system. I can't believe that an engine is too small to run an A/C compressor.
sorry that we couldnt help, but really the a/c drags on the pully system, so whenever you turn it on it going to do this. some people say that pullys are a waist of money but im still going to get some.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I didn't mean don't use the A/C. I was just saying what has already been discussed, it robs power. I don't know how you didn't feel a difference on any other 4 cylinder cars. I lose 4-5 mpg using my A/C, lost over 10 mpg when I had a 4 cyl Geo. That's just to show you how much the A/C actually draws. I still use it, don't get me wrong. Even losing some mileage, and having no power, I get better than 30 mpg and I am completely happy with that!

But good idea, if you think something might not be up to par, have it looked at!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts