Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Focus SE Wagon....all power has been lost to the tailgate...no wiper...license plate light....power lock...defroster.

There doesn't seem to be a specific fuse and I've pulled the inside panel off and cannot find any problems with the wiring.

Any suggestion on how to resolve this problem?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Many posts concerning this issue...

It is the umbilical that goes to your tailgate. Insulation is cracked/wires shorting out/broken wires and all that. Inside the umbilical.

Be sure to solder the wires with electronic solder and heat shrink tubing

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Umbilical

Thanks Mike, where do you suspect the breaks might be?...I have pulled the rear panel and inspected where the umbilical at the point where it leave the car body and enters the tailgate. I do not see anything that looks even slightly suspicious. Does this failure occur at a specific place?

Ty, jf

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I would go to a junkyard and get a couple feet of the wire harness, your splices must not be inside the umbilical but rather outside of it and give the wiring lots of slack-keep it loose.
I consulted my 04 Ford wiring manual and there are at least three different sizes of wires maybe more. While it would be easy to say 'just use the larger wire for all' you just might have an issue with available room inside that umbilical

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All good except license plate light

Thanks, Mike was done soldering, before I got your message, so some of the wires will fail, hopefully not too soon and I'll do it right the next time. Have to admit your fix did occur to me and I did splice in a few pieces.

Here's today's question...everything came back to life EXCEPT the license plate light. I checked the owners manual for a fuse location, but none was listed.

What would you suggest I do next to diagnose this problem, I was unable to get to the bulbs from the outside....I'd like to get my multi meter in there to see if it's getting power. When I had the back panel off there didn't seem to be access to the bulb or socket for the license plate light.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Reference: 2004 Ford Focus wiring manual

License plate light is off fuse 2.62 7.5 Amp

I have heard alot about corrosion, bad grounds there

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fuse 62

Must have been different in '04, mine's a 2000, no luck on fuse 62, listed as "not used" in my owners manual and there is no fuse in that slot.

Still trying to figure out how to get at the licence plate light sockets.

Ty,

James

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it! Finally figured out how to get that piece off, there was power to socket...just corrosion and a bad bulb.

The entire goal of this project was to fix the license plates lights, (small thing that can be a big thing if you get stopped at the wrong time) in the bargain I got my remote lock, inside hatch door release, rear wiper, 3rd brake light and defrost, but BEST of ALL I got my cruise control back....that was going to be the next project...thanks for you help, really appreciate this forum.
JF

1 - 9 of 9 Posts