Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Focus,LX auto sedan hit a kangaroo and both Air bads deployed
the car sustained damage to hood and passenger side fender
My problem is that since the accident we have not been able to start the engine and the insurance assessor will not ok repairs until he knows there is no damage to the engine.
the Ford dealer does not know why it wont start he says that the computer checks out ok but there is no power to the starter
Help!!

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Have they traced the wiring? I know it's a dumb question but maybe something got ripped, destroyed? Also, I know there is a fuel cutoff switch incase of accidents that may need to be reset. Does the engine turn over at all, like any sound, or just a 'click' when you turn the key?

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Good question ^^^ You are getting power to everything else right??? Does it "turn over " as in the stater is spinning??

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
yes that was my first guess too, check the fuelpump cutoff switch like everyone else suggested. also since if you were hit on the driver's side, did it break any grounded wires?

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
I agree with them about the cutoff switch but if ford did not check that first you may want to go to another dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cut out switch has been checked ok and the starter does not turn, not even a click when the key is turned.
they are now looking at some relay or switch in the auto Trans but have to get a part in.
they are thinking that it might have something to do with the Air Bags

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Has anything been fixed on the car? Assuming you went though an insurance company for the repairs right? They should be covering this, as due in part from the accident. What, go and tell them you PUSHED the focus into the Kangaroo, yeah right. It was obviously in running condition when you hit the animal.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"They should be covering this, as due in part from the accident"

I'm sure the insurance adjuster is trying to determine if it should be fixed or just totaled. If the engine is damaged, he probably plans on totaling it due to the cost of all the repairs. Hence his wanting to know if the engine is OK before spending any money to have it repaired.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
What I'm wondering is if the air bag deployment could screw up the ignition switch? Not even getting a click has me thinking that way....
Or if the impact loosened the ignition swith relay?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts