Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

The 12v outlet in my 05 ZX5 has no juice. Can someone tell me where to start and look for the problem?

Greatly appreciate any feedback and THANK YOU in advance!

Joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
i was gonna post a thread with the same problem but on a 2002 Ford Focus LX...i checked the diagram on the back of the fuse box cover and the fuse is good...any other suggestions??? :-/

·
фанатик
5,056 Posts
i was gonna post a thread with the same problem but on a 2002 Ford Focus LX...i checked the diagram on the back of the fuse box cover and the fuse is good...any other suggestions??? :-/
Did you check the fuse with a test light, DVOM, etc..? If you have power at the fuse, check for power at the socket itself. There's not much to this circuit, so hopefully it's not anything to crazy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having this problem too, and I would like to fix it myself. So, if it's not too basic a question to ask,

check to see if the pigtail connected to the outlet is actually connected? that was my issue...
How should I go about doing this? I am a total rookie but I'm not afraid to try. Thanks a lot, guys.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
wow old thread :).

You more than likely need to remove the radio head unit so you can unbolt the four bolts holding the console to the dash. otherwise maybe you can get in there (its been awhile for me) either by sliding out the tray directly above it or by taking the radio out and just reaching around.

Always check the obvious things first. If you have or can borrow a test light, that would be desirable at this point. If you've never checked a fuse with one before, all you do is make sure you have a good ground with the clamp end of the light and touch the little metal spots on top of each fuse. there will be two, one on each end of the fuse.

if your test light lights up when you touch both sides, the fuse is good.
If the test light lights up on only one side, the fuse is bad.
If it doesn't light up at all, that circuit is not currently activated.

If NO fuses light up, verify your connection to ground is good, the key is on, and make sure you're touching the metal spot (they get picky sometimes).

if the fuse works.... you can poke the test light DIRECTLY in the middle of the power outlet. Don't touch the sides as it will spark and probably pop the fuse. If you have power there, the outlet works. Otherwise if there's power at the fuse and not at the outlet, there is a break somewhere in the connection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, mikebontoft—amazing reply! Thank you for going into such helpful detail. I am going to see if I can borrow a test light from one of my buddies this weekend. And thanks very much for the video & the source, mikeeshaq. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem.

I've tested the fuse and it's fine but I have no power at the fuse box on the 12v outlet circuit.

Adjacent circuits for rear wiper etc. all test fine just seems to be that one that's dead.

Any ideas what to try next please?

·
Registered
17,511 Posts
The reading is too hard eh? Go back to post #7 and try again, your answer is there.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Maybe

Deeper digging if that doesn't do it, starting at the back of the fuse box possibly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts