Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse me for a newbie question... I bought a 2002 Ford Focus ZTW with Zetec a month and a half ago. Today when I opened the air filter housing (to do MAF sensor cleaning) and noticed there wasn't anything where the Chilton book says a PCV filter goes. (a little plastic piece seems to have come off from there, also..?) Shouldn't a PCV filter be placed there to keep dirt from entering the hose? If I need to get one, can anybody tell me what the OEM part is and where would be a good place to get one from? I appreciate your help in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
16,026 Posts
Much of the flow there comes out not in, and you can use literally anything to filter there. I commonly use a piece of green like lawnmower air filter that can be cut oversize to squeeze into place at much lower cost, and enough left to do it again. I've even used room air conditioner filter foam cut in a long strip and rolled up to again squeeze the too-fat-for-the-hole coil in place.

That filter mainly keeps oil in retention to run back down into the hole. Keeps the air filter box cleaner and stops oil laden vapor from coating the air filter element.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Much of the flow there comes out not in, and you can use literally anything to filter there. I commonly use a piece of green like lawnmower air filter that can be cut oversize to squeeze into place at much lower cost, and enough left to do it again. I've even used room air conditioner filter foam cut in a long strip and rolled up to again squeeze the too-fat-for-the-hole coil in place.

That filter mainly keeps oil in retention to run back down into the hole. Keeps the air filter box cleaner and stops oil laden vapor from coating the air filter element.
Thank you for the tip! I'll make a quick trip to a home depot for a lawnmower air filter then. I'm glad to know this is one of those not-too-critical parts. I got the same impression when I saw just a plastic spacer sitting where a cabin air filter goes and later found out many people drive without one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts