Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend let me know that there was oil in their driveway where my car was... so I checked the oil and there was NONE! NO OIL.

What do I do?? Do I put a few quarts in and take it in tomorrow morning? There must be some type of leak. What could have caused this??? Ugh.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
418 Posts
By Tomorrow morning there will be no oil again if you have a huge oil leak it will drain out again today.
Best to get the Dealer to come and tow your car in before the engine gets damaged.

·
Registered
788 Posts
A friend let me know that there was oil in their driveway where my car was... so I checked the oil and there was NONE! NO OIL.

What do I do?? Do I put a few quarts in and take it in tomorrow morning? There must be some type of leak. What could have caused this??? Ugh.

Thanks for any help.
How much oil was in your friends driveway? Is it a slow leak or a massive dump of oil all at once? If it's a massive dump, call Ford Roadside Assistance and get it towed to the dealership. If it's a slow leak, top it off, get it home, up on ramps, remove the air dam and try to see where it's leaking from. If your not a DIY kind of guy, take it to the dealership. It could be as minor as the filter or drain plug. Wherever it's leaking from and regardless how minor or major it is, I would get it to the dealership to pin point the problem and get it fixed. That's what new car warranties are for. Don't panic, you engine "knows" when it's sick and will either let you know by a warning light or by self preservation shut itself down.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much oil was in your friends driveway? Is it a slow leak or a massive dump of oil all at once? If it's a massive dump, call Ford Roadside Assistance and get it towed to the dealership. If it's a slow leak, top it off, get it home, up on ramps, remove the air dam and try to see where it's leaking from. If your not a DIY kind of guy, take it to the dealership. It could be as minor as the filter or drain plug. Wherever it's leaking from and regardless how minor or major it is, I would get it to the dealership to pin point the problem and get it fixed. That's what new car warranties are for. Don't panic, you engine "knows" when it's sick and will either let you know by a warning light or by self preservation shut itself down.
I am finding out right now...

I am definitely not the DIY guy... I can check the oil and that's pretty much it. [dunno]

I think I feel more confident having it towed over there at this point.

I wonder how getting a rental would work then... could they have Enterprise come to my house I wonder..

·
Registered
788 Posts
I am finding out right now...

I am definitely not the DIY guy... I can check the oil and that's pretty much it. [dunno]

I think I feel more confident having it towed over there at this point.

I wonder how getting a rental would work then... could they have Enterprise come to my house I wonder..
Get it to the dealership and find out the problem. If it's serious enough or requires a part that has to be ordered and they have to keep it over night, many dealerships (mine does) offer free loaners or they have arrangements with local rental agencies to provide a loaner. If you purchased a Ford ESP, the rental may be included with your plan. If you didn't get a warning light or you didn't hear a loud knocking, the engine was not out of oil. Just because it didn't register on the dip stick doesn't mean there isn't any oil, but it's not a good sign. Good luck.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your help! I just called roadside assistance... tow truck will be here 8-8:30 tomorrow. Then I will ride with him to the dealer and get a rental (I have ESP).

A lot simpler than running out and buying oil and praying nothing goes wrong!

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
It is probably a simple issue. Like the filter leaked or something.
The one issue after, is getting that underbody aero cover cleaned. It may, or may not be easy for the dealer to clean.
IF it was really messed up (ask) you might want a new one installed.. The aero shield looks to be just a fiber material.

·
Registered
418 Posts
This is a massive oil leak.
Here is my reasoning.
The dipstick from full to empty is 0.9 litres or 0.2 gallons.(that's a lot of oil)
The leak must be massive in order for the oil to soak all the way through that cover.
Please let us know the cause once you know.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's scary. My friend said there was A LOT of oil on the driveway. I'm glad I made it home ok.

I will let you guys know what happened.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hopefully the EPA doesn't find out about your spill, otherwise they might dispatch a Hazmat team to your driveway.
[screwy]

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got her towed in this morning. Didn't picture myself driving in a tow truck today! :)

But I got a loaner 2011 focus.. Man do I miss my car! Hope they don't have it long.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: They called and said an oil gasket seal broke, which caused the leak. They have to wait for the parts to ship... so I'll have the car back tomorrow or Wednesday.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Rear main oil seal or? Just curious what seal so we know what to look for...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Interesting. When you're 100% sure, let us know. I saw on another 12 Foci that a weep from the same area was occurring. What's your mileage on the car now?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts