Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys always recommend Motorcraft, so I found the front bearings for my 2002 ZTW, Part #BRG5 on "Ford Parts". Did driver's side first and put back together. Pass side was dragging after hub pressed in knuckle. It was a hard press for both. Even this novice knew that was not going to work on car. I found "National" brand at Advance Auto, same Ford Parts number, with a 3 year warranty! (Motorcraft is 2 yr, 24,000) for $49. So I put it in with no problem. I drove the car for 10 miles and there was a noise in the left front. Jacked it up and the bearing had lots of play in it. So, I bought another National bearing with the same Ford Parts number, and problem solved. I sent the first one back to "RockAuto" and got an email that credit was on the way to my credit card. The second one that was dragging hard in the knuckle, won't be credited because "I put it on the car" I put it in the knuckle and didn't put the knuckle on the car, because it was so bad. I can't explain it to RockAuto because you can't talk to them.
I hope this helps someone before they go with Motorcraft bearings, thinking they want the best for their Ford Focus.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Incorrect work methods. If I were the warrantying person I would tell you incorrect bearing press job, which is what flawed the bearing. You at some time pressed on the bearing center instead of the outside case ONLY, which is the only way a bearing like that can tighten up, and even more so if it got tight while the races aren't even pressed together yet (the install does that and likely the other bearing went bad over the same exact thing). OR, on pressing the hub into bearing center you did not positively support the other side of the bearing (supporting the knuckle is NOT the same as supporting the bearing itself, it is recessed in the knuckle!), it is a 2 piece bearing on a 1 piece shell and the opposite side can separate when the hub hits it secondly and then of course it drags, as it then has used up seal clearance to drag against the seal.

I'd bet there was nothing wrong with those bearings until somebody worked on them. Once you pressfit install ANY bearing you are liable for what happens next if it is bad unless you can show something positive like zero grease in it (which I have done before). And in no way is pressing those as simple as just throwing them up on a plate and pressing them in. Correct is to use step pilots of the right size, but of course nobody ever does that; then come all the wild claims of 'bearings are bad'.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
'Pass side was dragging after hub pressed in knuckle.'

Taken at face value there and by itself, if true then likely nothing was wrong there, a simple press back the other way would have pushed the one bearing half that split apart from the other back to kiss its' mate and the drag would have stopped and the bearing was still OK unless the seal got visually obvious damage to it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny how a few years ago, the autozone bearings went in no problem. Even funnier, the 2 national bearings went in no problem after BOTH Motorcrafts were a problem. I pressed them all the same way, and watched a few pros doing the job for a refresher. I think the specs are off. I should have measured to compare. I expected the answers I've got so far. I'm waiting for a person who has done this job with the same vehicle and Motorcraft bearings to talk. As usual, I'm not looking for opinions.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
'I expected the answers I've got so far. I'm waiting for a person who has done this job with the same vehicle and Motorcraft bearings to talk. As usual, I'm not looking for opinions.

Typical.

Thinking there is some sort of 'magic' to that car or bearing is part of the problem. The parts SHOULD both press in and out hard or they are not to spec, the aftermarket commonly makes them smaller in OD to lower returns. Ignoring details like the opposite bearing moving but the other not takes care of the rest.

ANYTHING you get here in answer WILL be an opinion, you do realize that?

I can't count the Ford bearings I've pressed, I can think of 6 now on Focus alone. No problems whether they pressed loose or tight. Some of them 'pressed' using no press at all.

Ford makes their stuff tighter, it saves the knuckle from the looser bearing spinning in it at a seizure to ruin it too, it can be a legal liability issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This issue was resolved by using National bearings. That is not a opinion. If you want to listen to the comments on this thread, or see for yourself, that's up to you. I have all the cups and disks to fit the outer rim and center rim. Watching 3 different people do the job on YouTube should be enough for any 16 year old to know how to correctly push the outer rim into knuckle; and to use the inside rim only for hub into knuckle. I posted to save someone the hassles I went thru. I wasn't looking for a debate, and I'm done talking about it. I'm driving the Focus and working on my F-150.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
I've pressed a few bearings in spindles w/ no issues before......

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
'Watching 3 different people do the job on YouTube should be enough for any 16 year old to know how to correctly push the outer rim into knuckle...'

Apparently not, and now you have lowered to insulting yourself.

I told you a couple of reasons why, I often use no press at all and simply hammer them in, if you can't do that and have them last for years more I can't help you. And neither can Youtube.

'This issue was resolved by using National bearings. That is not a opinion.'

It is to people who can use Motorcraft successfully and all day long. Your saying the parts are 'bad' is woefully incorrect as you likely made them so. More like your 'Youtube' skills are bad. You need to study up on the hundred different degrees of pressfit there can be.

That IS an opinion, but likely an accurate one. But then, truth is irrelevant in a 'truth is not truth' world, isn't it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts