Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... new building manager with something to 'prove'. So signs went up and 'No working or maintenace allowed in garage'.
This had been the rule always, but it was not really enforced much (except for major messing around, like rebuilding an engine)
But the new managers attitude? i am betting even a oil change will not fly.

It is true he is new, and after a few months it may change.
I have no interest in 'challenging' him. though i would bet 20-1 odds he will be easily bribed with money presents. Christmas is coming and nothing works as well as a $20 bill stuck in a card.
I have to see if he is going to clean the snow from the driveway though. the previous guy did a pretty good job of it. The guy before the last one refused to do anything (he did not drive, and did not give a damn, and one reason he was fired.) If this new guy does a poor job he will get canned anyway.

·
Registered
753 Posts
IDK what your situation is. Are you renting a place?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, rental. The under the building heated enclosed garage is about 24 cars. With another similar garage at the other end of the block long building.
Been here 7.5 years, no problem doing minor stuff like oil changes in the past. though, as i wrote, any work on the car is supposed to be not allowed.

I remember the last manager getting all huffy with another person when she had a mechanic work on her car to get it running.. Big 'to-do' over nothing. See, that manager did not like her, but liked me. So he never said anything about MY working on my car.
Typical.

At this time the (new) manager is trying to show he is in charge. So no putzing on the car. His not liking me much part may change, I have no idea.. Generally best not to tempt fate at all. Why make it set in concrete.

Some rules get enforced. Some do not. Like the rule about no car leaks. The guys car next to mine leaks oil like a stuck pig. He puts cat litter down. Ends up with twenty pounds of car litter under his car... LOL
(he would bribe the last manager with big smoked sausages.. To 'overlook' the puddles of oil.
Maybe he will get told shape up or ship out by the new guy? Or, maybe the new guy will start liking the free Italian sausage?)

The art of bribery is not dead.. I just have to find out what the new guy really wants, and not offend him with blatant:
""here is money to look the other way.. Now stop bugging me while i break the rules."" [wrenchin]

·
Registered
58 Posts
Before I would bribe him with $20 in a card, I would just take it somewhere and put the $20 towards an oil change....but that's just me lol

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Well... new building manager with something to 'prove'. So signs went up and 'No working or maintenace allowed in garage'.
Top 10 List: Lines to use on your building manager when he catches you under your car changing your oil:

10. My contact lens rolled under the car. I'm under here looking for it.

9. I'm not working on my car. I'm taking a nap under my car. Do you mind?

8. Jiffy Lube already changed my oil. I'm just under here checking for leaks.

7. I'm under here hiding from my ex.

6. I don't always change my own oil but when I do, I drink Dos Equis.

5. Geez, this aeroshield is a pain in the neck.

4. No hablo Ingles.

3. If you were a gentleman, you would change my oil for me.

2. Could you hand me a T30 Torx driver?

And the number one line to use on the manager when he catches you working on your car:

1. If you bother me again, I will stick my foot so far up your [eek][eek][eek] you will rue the day you were born.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Do what they did in F&F1 in the garage with the oil..lol. To be clear I am joking...lol.

Good luck :)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Signs, signs....

Hopefully any enforcement stays at a reasonable level, not a silly nitpicking one.

Over the years I've often done repairs (car/cycle/small equipment) for others in my garage/driveway, it's not allowed by zoning laws there or in many places. Doing things for most of the neighbors & being friendly with all in the immediate area has resulted in no complaints about that. Keeping it clean & keeping the noise down when working late has helped as well.

One nitpicking PITA in the neighborhood can ruin an otherwise agreeable community. EVERYONE has occasion to do something not precisely in the rules at one time or another, so it's much nicer when folks live & let live. Most annoyances can be worked out directly with a little understanding & willingness to be flexible.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I can feel your frustration. While it's not likely to be enforced, my apartment complex doesn't allow any car maintenance in view of other residents. If you pay for an attached garage (which I don't), then you can do what you want with the door closed. Luckily I can go to my in-laws any time I need to do work.

I honestly find it a little frustrating that working on one's own car isn't looked upon favorably. I imagine when the rule is put in place, the thought is to prevent some ******* swearing uncontrollably under his rusted out POS at 3am...

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I also live in an apartment and they also have rules against maintenance. I've only done oil changes and tire rotations and try to do this on Sunday when the office is closed and they're not around. I also try to complete my work quickly so as not to alert too many residence that may feel a need to squeal.

At current driving pace and oil change interval I can go 5-9 months between work and I'm typically done in about 40 minutes so I don't think I should have a problem. If the oil needs changing in the dead of winter I'll go someplace to get it done. So, on average, I only work on my car about twice a year and probably a bit less.

In fairness to the landlord's, there are lots of folks that would abuse this and have beater cars in pieces making for an unsightly and potentially dangerous place. It's probably for this reason that most apartments have such rules and it's just a matter of how picky they want to be about it. But again, it's best to avoid doing it in there face...

Brian

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I also rent. It's more of a townhome though. There's no rules about doing work to your car in the attached garage as long as it's not too noisy past 10 PM etc. I don't know about working on your car in the lot but I've done minor stuff and had no problems.

They won't let us wash our cars though because the drains lead to the ocean and the detergents in the soap cause algae blooms or something...wtf? There's like a dozen car washes within 3 blocks of me and all of them drain to the ocean too and charge me $15 to have some guy with a dirty towel put swirls in my paint...not cool...It's a conspiracy I tell you

·
Registered
650 Posts
Rules are Rules!! If you do not like them LEAVE!!! Just kidding lol I am on the board of directors for my home association of 460 single family homes. It is in our documents that you cannot do any type of maintenance. Frankly, I do not care as long as you do not run a shop out of your garage or backyard or do engine rebuilds. I pay a lot on monthly dues to live in a home association. I do not want my next door neighbor painting his house black with pink polka dots. Besides it keeps or property values up.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have no interest in 'challenging' him. though i would bet 20-1 odds he will be easily bribed with money presents. Christmas is coming and nothing works as well as a $20 bill stuck in a card.
$20 to the idiot manager or $32 to the dealer to just change your oil. I know which one I'd choose.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Rules are Rules!! If you do not like them LEAVE!!! Just kidding lol I am on the board of directors for my home association of 460 single family homes. It is in our documents that you cannot do any type of maintenance. Frankly, I do not care as long as you do not run a shop out of your garage or backyard or do engine rebuilds. I pay a lot on monthly dues to live in a home association. I do not want my next door neighbor painting his house black with pink polka dots. Besides it keeps or property values up.
Home owners associations blow chunks. There are far too many zealot jerks that run and operate those things. You should be able to repair your car on your property. I can almost understand some of the rules, but mine has a bunch of old bitties who do nothing more than nit pic everything they see as a violation. They recently made us paint our shed that was put up and approved by the previous owner before we bought our house(the shed was tan house is white), even though you cant even see the damn thing unless you are in our backyard. Is almost completely enclosed in bushes.

The rules they make are so vague that they can use a rule to apply to whatever suits their needs. Also if you try and challenge them in any way you can bet you will get a violation letter 2 weeks later. UGH.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Dude, Have you ever tried to join the board? That was the first thing I did when I moved into the community in 2003. Been on it ever since. I want to know how my money is spent. I cannot attest for other nightmares abound. We are fair, period. I get violated just as much as everyone else. That is because I was lazy and did not do common sense things. No tells anyone you have to move in a house that has an association. We have 460 homes and you know how many homeowners show up at the monthly meeting....7 and those are the board members. I made the effort and perhaps if more tried going and tried to change the rules it would happen. We wanted new mailboxes and needed 280 votes. All 7 of us when door to door to make this happen. We received 325 yays. WE made it happen. My advise, get involved and change things or live with it. Pretty simple. And NO I do not want people in my community doing major engine work or having commercial vehicles. Oil changes, washing/waxing if fine by me.

Reactions: kevinxb

·
Registered
443 Posts
Agree with Marine. HOAs get so much hate online because some people abuse their power. Most of them are not bad and serve a good purpose. I am the VP of my association's board and I don't nitpick anything. As long as you make an honest effort to maintain your home, pay your dues and don't do anything to inconvenience your neighbors, you'll never hear from the board. And the rules shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, you're supposed to sign a document saying you reviewed any association rules before closing on a home that has one. If you didn't, your agent didn't do their job. As for subsequent changes, Marine has good advice, get on the board and make your voice heard.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Agree with Marine. HOAs get so much hate online because some people abuse their power. Most of them are not bad and serve a good purpose. I am the VP of my association's board and I don't nitpick anything. As long as you make an honest effort to maintain your home, pay your dues and don't do anything to inconvenience your neighbors, you'll never hear from the board. And the rules shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, you're supposed to sign a document saying you reviewed any association rules before closing on a home that has one. If you didn't, your agent didn't do their job. As for subsequent changes, Marine has good advice, get on the board and make your voice heard.
Dude, Have you ever tried to join the board? That was the first thing I did when I moved into the community in 2003. Been on it ever since. I want to know how my money is spent. I cannot attest for other nightmares abound. We are fair, period. I get violated just as much as everyone else. That is because I was lazy and did not do common sense things. No tells anyone you have to move in a house that has an association. We have 460 homes and you know how many homeowners show up at the monthly meeting....7 and those are the board members. I made the effort and perhaps if more tried going and tried to change the rules it would happen. We wanted new mailboxes and needed 280 votes. All 7 of us when door to door to make this happen. We received 325 yays. WE made it happen. My advise, get involved and change things or live with it. Pretty simple. And NO I do not want people in my community doing major engine work or having commercial vehicles. Oil changes, washing/waxing if fine by me.
Tried, impossible and we work A LOT of hours. Its not like we are trouble makers. We keep to ourselves, dont make noise, mow the lawn, keep siding clean, plant flowers, etc. We do have a problem with the grass due to tree cover grass does not get enough sun. Tried everything except resodding(sp?). They have sited us for the woodpile being too close to house(no clear definition in the bylaws), our shed needing the "proper" color, a downspout extender being black(even though you cant see it AT ALL because its covered by ornamental grass and shrubs, the wishing well in the front yard(approved by them for previous owner). They would not let us put up a tall fence in the back side of our lawn(we wanted it to cut down on noise from a major road behind our house, even though both neighbors have them). Oh and a tree green canoe we had fastened to the fence even though down the road by a body of water there are dozens of houses with the same setup.

ALL of these things were up for YEARS and YEARS before they started nitpicking. Our neighbors do all kinds of crazy crap and they never get notices.

They are so crazy, real estate agents cant even put a SOLD sign on the signs they post in peoples yards.

Like I said the rules are so vague that a lot of times you could interpret them is 10 different ways and our first 10 years in the house were quiet. Only notice before that was about a car tire that the kids were using to play by pretending they had a fire pit, in the BACK YARD.

The board is nothing but a bunch of retired old ladies that do nothing but run around picking on stuff.

Is the house perfect, no, but it is pretty well maintained. We recently upgraded/replaced a bunch of stuff that needed it. With approval of course. The gutters, front door, some landscaping.

·
Registered
609 Posts
So how is this relevant to ford focus discussions?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Tried, impossible and we work A LOT of hours. Its not like we are trouble makers. We keep to ourselves, dont make noise, mow the lawn, keep siding clean, plant flowers, etc. We do have a problem with the grass due to tree cover grass does not get enough sun. Tried everything except resodding(sp?). They have sited us for the woodpile being too close to house(no clear definition in the bylaws), our shed needing the "proper" color, a downspout extender being black(even though you cant see it AT ALL because its covered by ornamental grass and shrubs, the wishing well in the front yard(approved by them for previous owner). They would not let us put up a tall fence in the back side of our lawn(we wanted it to cut down on noise from a major road behind our house, even though both neighbors have them). Oh and a tree green canoe we had fastened to the fence even though down the road by a body of water there are dozens of houses with the same setup.

ALL of these things were up for YEARS and YEARS before they started nitpicking. Our neighbors do all kinds of crazy crap and they never get notices.

They are so crazy, real estate agents cant even put a SOLD sign on the signs they post in peoples yards.

Like I said the rules are so vague that a lot of times you could interpret them is 10 different ways and our first 10 years in the house were quiet. Only notice before that was about a car tire that the kids were using to play by pretending they had a fire pit, in the BACK YARD.

The board is nothing but a bunch of retired old ladies that do nothing but run around picking on stuff.

Is the house perfect, no, but it is pretty well maintained. We recently upgraded/replaced a bunch of stuff that needed it. With approval of course. The gutters, front door, some landscaping.
Yeah, sounds like you got stuck with one of the bad ones. If they are denying or nitpicking things other people have done or gotten away with, it might be worth getting a lawyer to send your management company a letter outlining these things and threatening legal action if the rules are not evenly enforced. I bet that would get them to back off. Good luck

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
it might be worth getting a lawyer to send your management company a letter outlining these things and threatening legal action if the rules are not evenly enforced. I bet that would get them to back off. Good luck
Lawyers cost money and you will almost always lose when battling a HOA because you sign your rights away when you purchase in a HOA controlled community. They have unprecedented power and can even take your home under certain circumstances.

The only thing that trumps HOA rules is federal law. They can't discriminate against protected groups or object to wheelchair ramps. Most HOAs state no rooftop antennas but that is illegal since the FCC allows you to have one.

The most recent court ruling is that group homes are allowed in HOA controlled neighborhoods. HOAs are livid about this but the courts have ruled that the "group" is considered a single family. If a HOA even complains about a group home, they will get slapped with a federal lawsuit.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts