Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as of 11 am today, I'm no longer a Focus owner. Two clutch packs and a TCM replacement, coupled with widespread reduction in the trade-in value due to the known issues, and no desire to replace clutch packs every couple of years once the 100k extended warranty expires prompted my action.

I really loved my little SEL, it's held up well, handles great, is comfortable, feels good to drive, and is peppy enough while still delivering an honest 37.5 mpg over the last two years. I will miss everything except replacing clutch packs.

I have truly enjoyed the five years I've owned the Focus - except, of course, that darned clutch pack.

Anyway, I'll be putting a few items in the classified listings if anyone is interested:
1. full set of black Husky Liner floor mats in good used condition
2. Husky Liner trunk protector
3. Lock Pick rear-view camera (etc) harness, with OEM style camera
4. Center console tray

I hope Ford gets this problem fixed as this is too darn good a little car to be cursed with misfortune. I have learned much on this Forum and have enjoyed my time here.

Cheers to all.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
The brand new clutch pack came too late - and besides who'll trust it until used for a while....

Glad you enjoyed it otherwise, and more that you enjoyed time here.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The brand new clutch pack came too late - and besides who'll trust it until used for a while....

Glad you enjoyed it otherwise, and more that you enjoyed time here.
Exactly. The other two were also "new" and "improved" as well. My confidence level is low but Ford did step up to the plate on repairs and dealt well with me in the end.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
I was both thrilled and concerned when Ford stepped up to the plate and decided to try a DCT in a mass market car.

It looked to be the way the industry would head in the future, experimented with from F1 on down. BUT there were no successful implementations yet IMHO, as all to date were poor shifting in traffic. VW was the only other small car intro, and that was flawed/more expensive.

Hoped the tech was finally ready, turned out only the wet DCT types were acceptable for consistent performance at a high reliability level (Ford used some of them as well for higher torque applications elsewhere).

Estimates here settled in the 10% range for early severe issues, and others were simply not happy with operation. That's not good enough for a mass market item, but even then it would have been OK if a good fix was avail. early.

Disappointing overall, I was hoping for a performance paddle shift version soon after initial introduction. A cheap car with Porsche PDK like operation would have been a Grand Slam of a new feature intro..

Unfortunately, even at their price point there are quibbles and breakdowns there can cost the equivalent of a new Focus for a replacement.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was both thrilled and concerned when Ford stepped up to the plate and decided to try a DCT in a mass market car.

It looked to be the way the industry would head in the future, experimented with from F1 on down. BUT there were no successful implementations yet IMHO, as all to date were poor shifting in traffic. VW was the only other small car intro, and that was flawed/more expensive.

Hoped the tech was finally ready, turned out only the wet DCT types were acceptable for consistent performance at a high reliability level (Ford used some of them as well for higher torque applications elsewhere).

Estimates here settled in the 10% range for early severe issues, and others were simply not happy with operation. That's not good enough for a mass market item, but even then it would have been OK if a good fix was avail. early.

Disappointing overall, I was hoping for a performance paddle shift version soon after initial introduction. A cheap car with Porsche PDK like operation would have been a Grand Slam of a new feature intro..

Unfortunately, even at their price point there are quibbles and breakdowns there can cost the equivalent of a new Focus for a replacement.
You're pretty much dead on except that I really do like the transmission when it is not busy trying to remake itself into a wet clutch system in spite of the engineers. The VW clutch is a wet clutch and they had growing pains when the first came out - the wet clutch is much stouter than the dry clutch and more expensive to manufacture.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just had MY TCM go out and now the dealer is telling me the clutch and seals are bad. It ran good until the TCM quit and wouldn't even try to shift. Now they are telling me its 1200 for a new clutch and seals. Didn't realize they were having this much trouble with them. I love my focus, first car I bought new... This sucks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts