Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I barely got my 2004 SVT Focus like a month and a half ago. About a week ago, my gauge cluster lights and my running lights quit working. I was looking through the manual i got and it is no help since it is the generic focus manual. Can anyone please help me out???
My headlights come on but my tail lights won't.
My corner lights won't come on either.

I just need some help so i won't be driving around at night not knowing how fast i'm driving... don't want to get another ticket..

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
Mine does something similar....at night (usually chillier nights, always winter nights) when I turn my lights on all the outside lights turn on but NOTHING inside does. I just drive around in the dark, occasionally turning my dome light on to check my speed, and every so often turn my lights off then back on and usually within 10-15 min the guages, AC, and door lights light up when the lights get turned back on. I haven't gone looking for the olution mainly because I have no idea where to look. I'm pretty certain it's not a fuse because they still work most of the time for me. And I don't think it has anything to do with connections between the guage cluster and te car because it affects everything.....

Yours sounds like it could be fuses though if your tails and corners don't work either

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive checked fuses... dont know exactly which fuse to check because i dont know which one is for the "running lights" or "tail lights".. but i have visibly checked most and they look fine...
it just really sucks driving around with no tail lights and no gauges... and i cant really use the dome light to check my gauges that much because cops will pull u over if ur using ur dome light because they think ur doing some illegal activities while ur driving..

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just fixed a similar issue with my 2001. I replaced the fuses even if they looked fine and I installed a new switch for the headlights. Everything works great now. A new switch is about $10 on Ebay. There should be a fuse diagram in the back of your manual or mine was on page 167. That will tell you which fuses to replace. I know one of the ones I replaced was 46.

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does anyone know where i can get the fuse/relay diagram for an 04 svt focus?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I believe the fuse for the dash/running lights is fuse #32. Don't hold me to it. I had this exact same problem and when the fuse was pulled it didn't LOOK blown, but if I looked closely enough I could tell that the plastic inside was slightly melted and the metal was distorted.
For me, the problem was that the fuse wasn't held in tightly enough, which caused the lights to work sporadically. Anyways, when the fuse is bouncing about like that, it builds up a lot of resistance and causes the fuse to blow. I paid to have the terminals in the fuse box tightened, so I couldn't tell you how to do it yourself.

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe the fuse for the dash/running lights is fuse #32. Don't hold me to it. I had this exact same problem and when the fuse was pulled it didn't LOOK blown, but if I looked closely enough I could tell that the plastic inside was slightly melted and the metal was distorted.
For me, the problem was that the fuse wasn't held in tightly enough, which caused the lights to work sporadically. Anyways, when the fuse is bouncing about like that, it builds up a lot of resistance and causes the fuse to blow. I paid to have the terminals in the fuse box tightened, so I couldn't tell you how to do it yourself.
how much was it for them to do the tightening of the terminals?? and where did ya go to get it done?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well, over here, I went to a shop that specialized in eletrical. It wasn't the only thing they did, though... but tightening those terminals should be cheap, especially if you let them know to check that first so they don't waste time looking for the problem.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks everyone.. i have it figured out.. my fuse box has two terminals that are a lil loose. i have everything working now... i just need to find a place that can tighten the terminals in my fuse box.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
You can do that yourself if you wish. Pull the connections off the battery and use a pick tool and you can gently bend the tabs. The 90° or 145° pick will work better than the straight one. It's not terribly hard, just a PITA contorting into the car and under the dash with little illumination.

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks so much for the help. and to think that i was gonna actually take it into the shop and be without my car when i can just do it myself

1 - 13 of 13 Posts