Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my second winter with this car, and now having a little more money i can actually afford to fix the issue... after i figure out what it is [scratch]

I have noticed I have heat so long as I am at highway speeds but the moment i let off the gas, it fades away to just cold air. I have to actually hold down the throttle to get any heat. Defrosting in the morning is honestly something i can only dream about. Curious if anyone else has had a similar problem or where to start?

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
what does the temp gauge read?

sounds like a stuck open thermostat

·
Registered
285 Posts
Have you checked the coolant level?

·
Registered
113 Posts
My guess is the thermostat. Low coolant would be hot air all the time (if it was seriously that low). Hopefully OP delivers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Low coolant, Had enough to keep it running smooth but when i went to fill it i needed about 2/3 of the container

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
2/3 of the gallon jug? Jesus Christ - the capacity is only 5L (1.32 US gallons). Low coolant wasn't the problem, the LEAK is the problem (check the bottom corner of the radiator by the driver's side headlight). Are you still under warranty?

OAT coolants aren't friendly when air gets into the system - not to mention the aluminum engine block will oxidize immediately upon contact of air bubbles unlike older coolants (IAT) or hybrid (HOAT) coolants.

Did you use 50% diluted Ford Specialty Orange (VC-3-B) or something generic? If generic, it needs to be DexCool-compatible to work with what's in the system. I'd recommend the Ford specialty orange coolant if you're still under warranty so that they can't blame you for problems down the road.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need to check then, im pretty sure i just grabbed one off the rack maybe i got lucky, unlikely :/.. It did leak a few months ago and i had the same thought, if there was that much missing i have no idea how i never overheated
2/3 of the gallon jug? Jesus Christ - the capacity is only 5L (1.32 US gallons). Low coolant wasn't the problem, the LEAK is the problem (check the bottom corner of the radiator by the driver's side headlight). Are you still under warranty?

OAT coolants aren't friendly when air gets into the system - not to mention the aluminum engine block will oxidize immediately upon contact of air bubbles unlike older coolants (IAT) or hybrid (HOAT) coolants.

Did you use 50% diluted Ford Specialty Orange (VC-3-B) or something generic? If generic, it needs to be DexCool-compatible to work with what's in the system. I'd recommend the Ford specialty orange coolant if you're still under warranty so that they can't blame you for problems down the road.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I need to check then, im pretty sure i just grabbed one off the rack maybe i got lucky, unlikely :/.. It did leak a few months ago and i had the same thought, if there was that much missing i have no idea how i never overheated
If you grabbed the wrong one, you might get lucky as some of the "works with all types" might be compatible. I wouldn't risk it, though. It's not too difficult to drain, fill with distilled water, drain again and refill.

Most common MK3 leaks are the radiator and water pump. I had a leaking hose clamp, but it didn't leak nearly as much as yours, so I doubt that's the problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah it says works for all but i dont trust that, i always do oem recommended. Ill drain it tonight/tomorrow don't need any more issues after my tranny headache

1 - 11 of 11 Posts