Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP! I have no heat again, heres what happened. First I had no heat and replaced the thermostat. The car ovherheated and the batrtery died. I took it apart and realized the pully wheel seized up and the belt wasn;t turning so I replaced that. Car was running fine but the heat was barely warm.

Today on my way to work I had 0 heat. If I turned the blower off though the car started to over heat. Im not sure how having the blowers on kept it from overheating if no heat was coming into the car. Needless to say i FROZE! What could be causing this? When I turn the temp knob I can hear the blender door open and close.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would low coolant cause no heat and it to overheat without the fan blower on? I just did the alternator, pully wheel, battery, and thermostat.....not up for another repair I'm hoping it's the coolant I just want to be sure. I couldn't check it yet because it's a driving rain sleet storm right now and I had to get into work. Could the belt not be tight enough from when I put it back on?

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,589 Posts
Coolant flows continuously through the heater core and blend door determines if there is airflow across it. If the car is low on coolant one thing that will be noticed is the cabin heat doesn't work right. Cabin blower should always help an overheated engine, but if the coolant is low it can't.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks. Thats what I was worried about though. If the coolant isn't low how come when I turn the blower off the car starts to over heat? Wouldn't that mean the coolant isn't low?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
...how come when I turn the blower off the car starts to over heat?
I don't have an answer for that because you said no heat was coming into the cabin. So, no heat in cabin means no heat being removed from engine.

If your coolant isn't low, there is a possibility that the water pump is not pumping, but check the coolant first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just went outside to check the coolant. That stupid plastic radiator tub is impossible to see through! It looks like it may be empty. When I open the plastic cap and I look in I can see coolant and the little hole it sucks it in but it's a very small amount of coolant it looks like it's a seperate area before it goes into the tank. Are there 2 seperate chambers? One the coolant gets poured into and then one that it stays in?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You're low on coolant - add more to the full level to start, then recheck after starting the car.

Fan could have helped with cooling even if little coolant was going through the heater core.

PLZ don't play with running around/overheating because of low coolant, the next thread could be on major engine repair/replacement if you do.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
If you are seeing the "little hole" then the coolant is too low.

Fill the radiator first while engine is cool and running (rev it a couple of times to help get air out), and put the cap on it. Then fill the reservoir to the proper level. After a run and cool down cycle, recheck coolant level. If it has gone down only a little bit, then it is probably okay as there is often a small amount of air to get out on first run. If it has gone down a lot then look for leak.

Also, you can clean up the reservoir by taking it off and putting ice and water in it. Slosh it around and the ice will scrub the inside.

EDIT: I didn't know sailor was typing while I was!! ...but what he said!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help!! Hopefully I won't be posting a new thread tomorrow that my car blew up on my way home!!! It never over heated as long as I had the blower on so I'll freeze for an hour and add coolant when I get there. I can't tell if I have coolant or not but will find out!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is no radiator cap unless I'm missing it. Theres a plastic radiator cap on the reservoir and a little hole that I think goes into the big part of the reservoir whenre the in max lines are but its too ditter to see if theres anything there unless it's empty.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yeah both at once here!

clincoln - for your year the reservoir cap IS the radiator cap, remote reservoir/cap system instead of a radiator cap ON the radiator & a separate overflow bottle.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Opps...my bad...I have my other car in mind...no rad cap on the Focus.
No worry there, SOME do have the separate rad. cap & overflow bottle.

At least some MkII versions have that setup, along with MkIII's - and then the current ST's go back the the remote reservoir....

I still don't have straight which year MkII's have rad caps & overflow bottles vs. ones that may have the remote reservoir.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
^^^Thanks for clearing that up sailor.

To the OP...
Not a good idea to run the car low on coolant and think it is okay because of what the gauge says. The coolant could be low enough to start developing hot spots in the engine and yet not show on gauge. Just so you know......

·
Registered
1 Posts
overheating/not heater issue

my son brought a 1.8 tddi with a over heating issue but no heat though the heater and no pressure build up. within the last 6 months its had the head gasket replaced and skimmed, replaced the water pump and thermostat. after doing all the basic coolent checks.... no coolent.... we filled the expansion tank and after 45 min of squeezing pipes and waiting for the water to get warm and with the heater still blowing cold we started again.
we removed the thermostat and expansion tank took the bottom hose off from the radiator and flushed with water the heater matrix pipes were located and and removed from the back of the turbo and flushed the heater matrix though. then blew all the water out the matrix and engine block and radiator then blew 3 pipes that go to the expansion though. one of the smaller piped was blocked had to blow it though with air line. put it back together and we have heat to the heater and radiator and presure and the gauge is around the 10 oclock .... im not convinced its fixed.... my son is tho...

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
Sons are like that, a couple times having to walk home generally fixes that though.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
....the gauge is around the 10 oclock .... im not convinced its fixed.... my son is tho...
Probably NOT fixed if only seeing gauge at 10 instead of 12 o'clock.

The gauge only going to 10 would most likely be a thermostat issue. Did you put in a new stat?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts