Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently moved from TEXAS to colorado which is a problem in itself, but anyway. the old lady came home from work last night( it was about 20 degrees outside), and said the heat wasn't working. her drive is about 45 miles so no matter the temperature outside the heat should have come on.

any ideas on where to start looking?

ALSO.

since i have moved to a more northern climate, what things do i need to keep an eye on and what should i change( oil, atf etc.).

·
Social distancing in the cave
5,938 Posts
First off is it blowing air? Second check the coolant level. Third does the coolant get hot?

If it doesnt blow air or the fan will not change speed. You could have a bad fan or resister.

If the coolant level is low you may not have enough water to circulate through the heater core.

If the coolant does not get hot the thermostat could be stuck open.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the answers(work)

thank you for y'alls quick response. my old lady has the car at work right now so i will be checking these items first thing in the morning.

i really appreciate the responses as i really have no idea where to start.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Unless it's low on coolant, Mainest had the answer...

If you empty the glovebox & open it ALL the way, you should be able to see the actuator & lever to the left...

Luck!

P.S. - press the sides in to release the tabs to flip it down...

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Have you ever replaced the thermostat? You might have a thermostat that's stuck open. You can use the electronic odometer trick to monitor engine temp, and that should show you if your thermostat is working- it showed on mine. The temps are in C, so you'll have to familiarize yourself with conversion before you take the car for a spin. Look for the odo read out to show something like this [20 C], and that's the temp reading. The actual number will depend on the ambient temp and the engine temp at the time. If the thermostat was working, then you should see your engine temp run up to 95C or so, then drop down when the thermostat opens, run up to 95C again, and drop down until it settles right around the thermostat temp. The colder it is outside, the longer it will take to settle- if it ever does. If you don't see it heat up in cycles like that after 10 minutes of driving- then you definitely have a stuck thermostat. My car takes only 3 minutes to reach the point where it cycles in 15C (60F-ish) ambient temps.

Coolant flows through the heater core all the time in this car- there is no valve, so ignore anyone who says that there's a valve you need to replace. To check the heater core itself, drain coolant, remove the 2 heater core hoses from the engine, and then put a water hose on it. If there was anything in there- it should clean it out. I wouldn't expect that there was anything in there.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Is it blowing at all?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts