Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just realized I don't have a light in my glovebox and I was thinking a good first mod may be to add one. Anyone have any good suggestions on how to go about doing something like this?
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
109 Posts
You should be able to tap into the LED accent lighting under the dash. Somebody has already added additional accent lighting. Basically the same concept. The light would only work when the light control activates the accent lighting.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
Those of us without a light are probably missing a contact switch which no doubt costs a small fortune. Lamp holders are easily obtained from anywhere.

Tapping into the led accent lighting seems like a way to go. IMO

·
Registered
60 Posts
Those of us without a light are probably missing a contact switch which no doubt costs a small fortune. Lamp holders are easily obtained from anywhere.

Tapping into the led accent lighting seems like a way to go. IMO
You could use something like this: http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/PB-145/NORM.-CLOSED-MOMENTARY-PUSHBUTTON-RED/1.html

It's normally closed so when its popping out the circuit is closed. The trick would be to make it fit flush somehow...

·
Registered
468 Posts
So I just realized I don't have a light in my glovebox and I was thinking a good first mod may be to add one. Anyone have any good suggestions on how to go about doing something like this?
Posted via FF Mobile
I've given it a good look and IMHO it will be a touch tricky to do a good light switch that comes on immediately when the glove box door is opened. One could mount a toggle switch on the inside left, or even on the inside of the door to manually activate a box light, but that might look more than a bit tacky, eh? I'd sure be happy to see anything our clever Fanatics might come up with.[ffrocks]

·
Registered
200 Posts
This is funny. Most of the newer cars I've had in the past 10 years, didn't have a glovebox light. Wonder why.
Have 2 mid-sixties Pontiacs, both have glovebox lights that come on when you open them. weird stuff.
Although, now that I'm thinking about it, either the 95 Maxima or the 2005 Maxima had glovebox lights that would come on only if the headlights were on.

·
Registered
364 Posts
my solution, (from my thread) was to get one of these:

here's the outcome:

$2.39 from fry's. not wired in or turns on / off automatically / fancy... but if anyone needs light in the glove box, it's just a push away. works pretty well and inconspicuous cause i got it in black to match the interior. [grinking]

·
Registered
468 Posts
Okay, here's my take on Fuzzy's idea for a glove box light and a center console light. I chose a Hampton Bay 750 104 two-pack from Home Depot because they were on clearance ($16 per package), they come in black and gray, they were thinner than others, they use LEDs, they have a bright and a dim setting, and they were a bit more stylish than some.

The console has a neat little recess in the lid that is angled down and has a surface just about right to Velcro the light into. This also allows the compartment to be filled without interfering with the light - the lid still closes nicely.

With the light angled down, it lights up the compartment nicely and, as a bonus, makes a nice little map light for the driver and the passenger without having to turn on all of the interior lights.

There is a slick little spot inside the glove box to mount the light on without it being in the way of stuff in the box. This also makes the light shine down, onto the open lid, rather than sideways into the stuff in the box. The lid then makes a kind of nice little writing surface. This light also makes a nice map light for the passenger.

[thumb]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interestingly, page 303 of the owners manual shows fuse #60 assigned to, among other things, "Glove box illumination". Do any of the trim levels have this, or is this just a place holder assignment for a future trim level. I wonder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts