Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I apologize if this has been covered before but I recently picked up a '14 Titanium and it has no engine cover. Was this a change for the '14s? I feel gypped.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
985 Posts
go to the dealer, I believe Titanium's get the cover.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Hello all,

I apologize if this has been covered before but I recently picked up a '14 Titanium and it has no engine cover. Was this a change for the '14s? I feel gypped.

Thanks

Dave
Only the very early build 2012 model Titaniums came with an engine cover.

I bought mine. You need these part numbers:

Engine Cover: CP9Z-6A949-A
Stud #1: CP9Z-6A957-A (One package of 2 pieces)
Stud #2: CP9Z-6A957-B (One)
Nut/washer: W520201-S442 (One package of 2 pieces)

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
I guess they just stopped putting them on to save money? Does it help keep the top of the engine cleaner? I have seen some pics of some focus's with a ton of crud on top the engine.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I guess they just stopped putting them on to save money? Does it help keep the top of the engine cleaner? I have seen some pics of some focus's with a ton of crud on top the engine.
Mine's not too dirty.

Isn't the cover technically incorrect?
The MK3 doesn't have a "Duratec" engine, but rather the still-unnamed "2.0L Ti-VCT".
Maybe I'm confused.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Mine's not too dirty.

Isn't the cover technically incorrect?
The MK3 doesn't have a "Duratec" engine, but rather the still-unnamed "2.0L Ti-VCT".
Maybe I'm confused.
It's a Duratec.

"Ford invited media this week for a deep dive on the new Duratec 2-liter gasoline direct injection (GDI) 4-cylinder engine that is the standard powerplant for the just-coming-to-showrooms 2011 Focus"

http://www.edmunds.com/autoobserver-archive/2011/03/fords-new-big-gun-in-small-car-engines.html

·
Registered
167 Posts

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
I find it more raw without the engine cover ... I like that! YMMV

Anyway every duratec 2.0L (from MK1.5) I've seen never had a cover!

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts

The engine cover designed for the MK3 N/A and MK3 ST are meant to serve a few functions, one being to "clean up the engine bay appearance" as not everyone wants to see the top of the engine, the other and more important issue is the sound absorbing dampener pads attached to it as well as the plastic it self being a sound barrier to further help isolate the cabin from the engine's sometimes harsh vibrations (especially on the N/A which seems rougher at idle than the ST is).

·
Registered
976 Posts
I know I like to have a clean engine bay so I have contemplated getting the cover. Currently, I use an air compressor to blow out any dirt/sand/junk that gets in the nooks/crannies on top the engine...the cover will eliminate that.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Personally, I don't like engine covers. I like to see the actual motor of a vehicle, not a plastic shroud covering everything up. And it's just more junk to have to take off, when working on the car.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Back when manufacturers took pride in the appearance of their engines, even on the cheaper cars, I wouldn't have seen any point to a cover. My '86 & '91 Civic Si's had great looking valve covers and no visible wires, except the spark plug wires. Those were engines worth showing off. These ugly plastic valve covers and the accompanying coil packs and wires on newer cars are just ugly. Definitely needs to be covered up.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Back when manufacturers took pride in the appearance of their engines, even on the cheaper cars, I wouldn't have seen any point to a cover. My '86 & '91 Civic Si's had great looking valve covers and no visible wires, except the spark plug wires. Those were engines worth showing off. These ugly plastic valve covers and the accompanying coil packs and wires on newer cars are just ugly. Definitely needs to be covered up.
Agree. I like the look of the cover. Opinions vary on this but IMHO, my engine is slightly quieter at idle with the cover on. (As suss mentioned, the cover has noise dampening material on the bottom side) Another benefit of the cover is it protects some electrical components when you wash your engine compartment. I just stuff a plastic grocery bag in the oil dipstick hole and the oil filler cap hole and spray away.

Attachments

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
IMO the engine cover you showed in the picture make the engine bay crowded a lot.

Poor little engine with no air to breathe, don't you guys have feelings?!?! [;)]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts