Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
over the weekend lost both dipped headlights! What' fun! Looked at the forums found lots advise re both headlamps failing at the same time. So investigated and found voltage to the sockets AND both lamps were good. Wriggling the lamp holder Assy (part of the level adjust system) the lamps came on! Now scratching head and wondering how sides can develop the same problem at the same time! Can't be an earth problem as headlights are ok. After the wriggle with both headlamp Assy, dipped headlights work fine. Leave an hour plus both have failed again. Now at a bit of a loss and wondered has any one else experienced this problem and what could be the solution.
Cleaning all connections in the headlight unit at the moment
But still puzzled by both sides!
Any help much appreciated
Neil

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,589 Posts
Wiggling the wires and/or the lamp assembly and having the lights start working would seem to indicate a loose connection there somewhere. Strange though that it affects BOTH low beam headlights at the same time.

What is common to both lights is the relay. There are two relays....one for high beam....one for low beam. I would suspect the low beam relay is making intermittent contact when it engages. You could try swapping the low and high beam relays and see if the problem moves with the relay. You could also just try thumping the low beam relay with a screwdriver handle when the low beams are not working and see if that makes them come on. If they do come on, then bad relay for sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, many thanks for the reply, yes have exchanged relays, no help, I to am very puzzled why both sides and only dipped. When I get 1 side working i need to repeat the same process on the other side to get both to operate but switch off on leave a few mins the problem is back. Looking at the headlight level control and motors at the moment, very puzzled
Cheers
Neil

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I wish I had a diagram for your car as this makes no sense at all to me right now.

If voltage is present on the bulb(s) and the ground(s) are good, then lights should be on.

Perhaps something weird with the bulbs???? I dunno.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes bang on, both bulbs had failed. Must be something to do with built in obsolescence on behalf of Mr Phillips. The internals of the lamp connections had started to corrode (dissimilar metals I believe) which resulted in making the connection when the socket was wriggled! Baffled as to why both had this problem at the same time my only conclusion is not to by any lotto tickets this week! 2 new super bright installed and alls well.
Many thanks for the input much appreciated
Neil

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'm very pleased you were able to figure this out and fix it.

I'm NOT pleased that it turned out to be a problem with Philips bulbs. I bought 4 Philips VisionPlus bulbs a few months ago for $20 total online (a REALLY good price) and put 2 in my Focus and 2 in my Honda.

So far so good with the bulbs (better light than I had), but I'll know to check them out if something strange shows up like you discovered. At least I still have my 4 old bulbs on hand.

Cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts